Day 13 - On French Soil


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Dieppe
July 13th 2023
Published: July 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Day 13 - On French Soil
Considering how windy it was, the channel crossing wasn't too bad. We lost an hour crossing over to France so it was about 10pm when we got in. By the time we got to our accommodation and had a shower it was just after 11pm. We can vouch for the fact that the town of Dieppe doesn't have any restaurants open at that time. Dinner became our emergency ration, the equivalent of a tune and pasta pre-packaged meal. And to think, we're in France!

Our accommodation was a little disappointing. WiFi didn't work, no milk for coffee, no communication in English, and no remote for the TV. Well to be fair, the remote was there but it got buried under Jeff's stuff and wasn't seen again until we were leaving. It was also meant to have 2 x single beds and had a double instead.

The overnight intermittent rain returned for our departure from Dieppe. A fitting finale to a "gloomy" experience. There was a steep climb out of town but once we were out, the memories of the French country side came flooding back. And the small towns separated by mere 100's of meters. All oozing charm and character.
We both had a slip where we tended to the left side of the road instead of the right, so we are being extra careful about that.
We were both tired and no real planning happened last night. Jeff and I are still coming to grips with how the "just-in-time" planning side of things works. Or as I call it, No planning! Today's destination is a holiday town called Saint-Valery-sur-Somme.
Our hotel is right on the river front and a beautiful old hotel. We doubled checked the address when we rocked up to make sure we didn't have it wrong.
Goal for tonight:
1. Work out where we meet the Rhine
2. How many days it will take to get there,
3. Where we are heading tomorrow,
4. Book a hotel for tomorrow, and
5. Work out our first rest day (I know I'm starting to feel tired).

I'll let you know how we go.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The River SommeThe River Somme
The River Somme

It's a tidal river (and the tide is our)
Church in the Old part of TownChurch in the Old part of Town
Church in the Old part of Town

Has the remains of a fortified wall to keep out invaders


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb