20th October – a very special dinner at a local restaurant


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Connelles
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Next door to our time-share is a highly rated, gourmet restaurant in a country hotel. Last night we celebrated our trip and my birthday with a special night out. The restaurant-hotel is set in a restored 1600's mill over the Seine River. It is considered one of the true treats of France.

We began with a walk beside the Seine River on a clear evening with stars and a bright moon. We were greeted by Pierre and seated in easy chairs in front of the fireplace for our appertifs. I ordered a kir royale and Gary had a martini; they were delivered with a tray of cheese puff-pastry.

After deciding on our dinner choice, we were shown to our table in the dining room. This room seats 20 to 30 people and is decorated with crystal chandeliers, antique clocks, candles and fresh flowers. There were several haute cuisine choices on the menu but one option caught our eye - the chef's choice (surprise) 5 course meal. Gary chose a Bordeaux wine to accompany this meal. As I always say, what an adventure!

Our dinner began with curried cauliflower soup served in small crystal glasses. Next was a beautifully decorated plate of duck foie gras. The pate was so creamy and delicate and the combination with a sweet chutney and light toasted brioche was a taste of heaven. A second entree (appetizer) was presented - poached egg cooked at low temperature in a fresh mushroom cream. There were several varieties of mushroom in a rich cream sauce and the poached egg cooked at a low temperature was a surprise adding a rich texture to the dish.

The main dinner plat was roast duck supreme served with raisins, pumpkin puree and hazelnuts. The duck was cooked to perfection and the puree was a wonderful accompaniment. A french dining tradition is to serve a cheese tray at this time in the meal. Tonight was definitely a traditional meal. There were 3 cheeses served on a slate tray with a wonderfully dressed small salad of special local greens.

This was followed by dessert of fresh pineapple ravioli with homemade white-chocolate mouse ice cream and chopped pistachios. There was a delicate baked vanilla cookie draped across the ice cream. I can't describe the wonder of these flavors as they worked together. I'm not sure that I would have thought of pineapple with these other tastes but to say “it worked well” is a gross understatement. But wait there is another small plate coming from the kitchen... 2 shortbread cookies, 2 macaroons and 2 deep, dark chocolate truffles rolled in coconut.

The staff and chef then presented me with a signed and dated menu as a birthday card.

Can you believe it??? Truly an amazing adventure!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb