Au revoir, Alps!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Chamonix
June 23rd 2006
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mont Blanc from our apartmentMont Blanc from our apartmentMont Blanc from our apartment

A very clear day today!
Well, tomorrow we head back to Paris and from there back to the states, so I think this will be the last installment of our blog. Some of you may be relieved by that... 😊

Today before we turned in our well-used Mont Blanc multipass, we headed up to 3300m to the Grands Montets. It was a beautiful clear day, we could see forever. Even Mont Blanc showed herself for the entire day, as if to say goodbye... This was a real treat, and a rarity from our week's experience here. We could not have asked for a more perfect day weather-wise. From the Grands Montets, we could see many mountaineers heading up the ice towards the Aiguille Verte summit - crazy, if you ask us. We even saw a couple skiers take off down the mountain -- crazier? Regardless, those people make these tasks look easy and graceful. The views from there were the best we've had all week, and we could see many of the places we'd hiked to and from over the course of this week.

We rode halfway down via the cablecar and then walked 40 minutes or so to the Argentiere glacier and its
Mont BlancMont BlancMont Blanc

Mont Blanc (the highest one in this photo) and the Aiguille du Midi in the right center foreground.
spectacular icefall. We got to see many small chunks of ice fall off the vertical exposed face of the glacier, and right before we left we were treated to a rather large and loud crash. It was pretty amazing to see, and great to hear -- sounded like fireworks going off -- the ice falling onto the rocks and ice below.

That's about it. We're ready to be home and give our girls a hug or two!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Argentiere GlacierArgentiere Glacier
Argentiere Glacier

From the Grands Montets - this is where the skier took off from.
C & D with Mont BlancC & D with Mont Blanc
C & D with Mont Blanc

From the Grands Montets
Chardonnet AiguilleChardonnet Aiguille
Chardonnet Aiguille

We could see (with our binoculars) climbers on the summit of this peak. Argentiere glacier below.
IcefallIcefall
Icefall

The icefall is in the foreground. The photo doesn't really capture how massive it is, or the amazing blue ice. Chardonnet Aiguille in the background.
Icefall 2Icefall 2
Icefall 2

Us with the icefall in the background.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb