Chamonix


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Chamonix
September 30th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well Jill thought Annecy was amazing - that was before she hit the Alps! Driving along these roads through the mountains, overlooking gorgeous french towns nestled in valleys. The towns were beautiful and were a mixture of French and Swiss influence in their style. Then as you turned a corner - there was a spectacular sight! Mt Blanc - snow topped! Jill had got her wish and saw a snow topped mountain (she had missed out with Mt Fuji!)

Wow it was stunning - the sun shining on it, mountains, valleys, green woods - very majestic in deed!

So we hit Chamonix... now there had been discussion about one night here then back to Annecy as it was so lovely. Well that idea was immediately dismissed when we hit Chamonix! As we were driving through the ski village - the hotel we wanted to stay at was sited - all rooms with a view of Mt Blanc, and with balconies to enjoy sitting out with my wine later!

We had planned to do some walks however the area was closed off. You can also get a 'travelcard' for the area. This allows you umlimited access to the cable car, and train in the area. there is also a cable car you can get to Italy - but that was also closed. Anyway we bought our card and headed up on the cable car to the mountain peak for a perfect view of Mt Blanc.


And a perfect view it was!!! Stunning. White peaks, untouched snow. There was a few people going up to do walks and to paraglide back down to the valley. we were impressed with some of the walkers - there was some amazing tracks along the peaks! We spent the afternoon checking out the snow. (and then having coffee and pastries in the square).

The next day we went up again but it was alot colder so didn't last as long! Before we knew it we were back having chocolate crepes and coffee looking up at the peaks. Later it was mussels and wine in a square... then up on the train to see the glacier!


The glacier is retreading but the drill a hole into it every year and secure it every day so you can walk in it! not bad and a great train ride up the mountain overlooking the valley.

Then that was it! Time to go! Off to the UK. Chamonix was awesome and must be stunning in winter - its stunning in summer!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb