The first week proper


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Annecy
April 22nd 2016
Published: April 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

DSCF3729DSCF3729DSCF3729

Pete's favourite shop lidl.
Well we finally found some wifi to enter a blog.



We left on Wednesday night at 22:00 and got to dover at about 02:00 on Thursday morning. The ferry left at 04:00, and after negotiating a very confusing (for me) route to the boat we boarded a very empty ferry, and we were off. Not before driving over our dustpan brush, which Fiona was pleased about as she now doesn't have to sweep out the van every evening.



We landed at dunquerk at 07:00 and were making our way to Belgium, for fiona's fags, when we met our first unusual travellers. We were pulled into a layby to check our directions (a usual event for us) when there was a tap on the window. It was 2 first time would be baccy smugglers from Oldham, who had rented a car with a uk satnav, but not Europe. We put their address into our satnav, and they followed us to the store. When we got there they went in, and come straight back out, and said that the Amber leaf tobacco they were after had gone up in price, because of a shortage due to a hijacked lorry, and they couldn't make enough money so wer'nt getting any. We tried not to laugh.

After getting a laugh and fags, we headed for our first night in Honfleur, a nice French olde worlde tourist town. It rained, but wasn't too bad and we found a Lidl's.

First day completed, and we haven't yet fallen out. That's a first.



Next day we moved on to Mont St Michelle. On route we stopped, and crossed the Pegasus Bridge. This was entirely accidental, as I had no idea it was on route. It was a bit embarrassing as I took some photo's of the wrong bridge initially. The town seemed to be painted entirely maroon, in honour of the airborne troops (or tourism). We stopped briefly on lion sur mer (sword beach), before heading off to Mont St Michelle and stopping overnight in the car park. Fiona was disappointed because last time we stayed the car park was right outside the Abbey, and it was nice lit up at night. The new car park was about a mile away, with no proper view of the abbey.

We met a very interesting chap called Mick Cope, an ex army queens infantryman, who had sold up everything and cycled round the UK's coast, and was now heading for Barcelona, Via Gibralter, and then back home. We stayed another night at the proper campsite and had a couple of beers and a meal with him.



The next day we headed off to a car park, sorry Aire, at Erquy/Caroual, which was smack on the beach, Charley loved it, next to a nice small bar, and a short walk to the local shops. Fiona said the sunsets where lovely.



Next day we headed for an Aire (cheap campsite/carpark) at Meneham/Kerlouan, which had a fantastic beach, and a few interesting granite houses, caves, and a nice bar with authentic cidre. Charley decided he was going to be a beach bum, and made a good job of it. My shorts and t shirt came into play, and I think that will be the dress code for the rest of the trip, as the weather is great, but a bit chilly at night.



We headed off to St Nazaire, where we were hoping to find an Aire with wifi. We had trouble
DSCF3732DSCF3732DSCF3732

Pegasus bridge
with the satnav (not me honest) and went to 3 locations up and down the coast, before eventually ending up in the right place, no WIFI. Another fantastic beach with great coastal walks. That night, we were entertained by grunge/garage music, as someone appeared to be having a rave until 02:00. We had breakfast in a quirky, for us English, post office/bar/shop/café.

After a good walk along the coastal path, we decided we were not going to be able to meet up with Mick the cyclist, who we had arranged to meet, and was quite close behind us, you know the speed I drive at. :-) so we headed off to St Jean De Monts, where we are now, and using WIFI.


Additional photos below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

DSCF3743DSCF3743
DSCF3743

Le mont michel. They do not let dogs on the buses so had to walk.
DSCF3745DSCF3745
DSCF3745

very windy today
DSCF3748DSCF3748
DSCF3748

Nice chap that we met at st michaels mount----mick cope, shared a meal and a few vino's


27th April 2016

looks like its going well for you so far,i bet you was delighted to find a lidls.after mixing with smugglers i hope mick the cyclist isnt from interpol and is tailing you !! ha ha
30th April 2016

updating
Hahaha, Hi Alfie, the smugglers were something else, and mick the cyclist couldn't meet up with us as planned because he was saddle sore and had to stop for a couple of says. None of them were likely to be Interpol, unless they were pink panther squad. :-)
27th April 2016

About time!
About time you updated this! Looks like your having a good time! Don't hurry home!
30th April 2016

yes it is about time
Hi Jen, yes it is\was about time, and im updating now. Hope your still behaving.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb