Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Blogs from Annecy
Latest Blogs from Annecy
- February 13th 2014 Le Trekking in France - Haute-Savoie in the French Alpes
by Words: 391 Photos: 2
- August 12th 2013 The High-Speed Tour of Annecy
by Words: 606 Photos: 2
- September 11th 2012 Just Call Me An Annecy Boy
by Words: 1364 Photos: 18
- July 10th 2012 The beginning
by Words: 2720 Photos: 0
- February 24th 2012 Annecy and a little taste of home
by Words: 744 Photos: 10
- November 28th 2011 Thanksgiving/Cheesegiving.
by Words: 544 Photos: 7
- October 28th 2011 Annecy
by Words: 620 Photos: 206
- October 17th 2011 Annecy, je t'aime
by Words: 283 Photos: 13
- October 12th 2011 The Rainbow.
by Words: 848 Photos: 11
- October 7th 2011 Just press play.
by Words: 647 Photos: 3
- October 5th 2011 The first three weeks.
by Words: 1689 Photos: 6
- October 4th 2011 Annecy and Aix-les-Bains
by Words: 735 Photos: 15
- September 24th 2011 In transit.
by Words: 1398 Photos: 0
- September 23rd 2011 Couchsurfing.
by Words: 881 Photos: 0
- June 3rd 2011 Scootering round Lake Annecy
by Words: 522 Photos: 9
- June 2nd 2011 Lovely day out in Annecy - Venice of the Alps
by Words: 550 Photos: 14
- May 13th 2011 Holiday in Annecy
by Words: 277 Photos: 21
- May 10th 2011 Moirans de Montagne to Annecy !
by Words: 201 Photos: 14
- April 3rd 2011 Day 26: Auxonne to Annecy
by Words: 583 Photos: 7
- April 3rd 2011 Day 27: Annecy
by Words: 212 Photos: 5