Lyon to Annecy by the lake


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Annecy
June 14th 2015
Published: June 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Monday 15 June 2015

We were sorry to be leaving our excellent hotel near Lyon today, large room, comfortable king size bed and a fridge. To find all these at the same time is most unusual with budget accommodation, and to be savoured. Still, we are off to see the mountains so leave we must.

The first part of our journey to Annecy was through commercial and light industrial areas plus towns all strung together. The result was roundabout heaven for lovers of this method of traffic control. Centrifugal force can be tiresome after the first dozen or so times. Thankfully we eventually reached the real countryside and were soon driving through hilly farmland with many more trees. We were surprised to come across the Rhone River which also flows through Lyon, here much further upstream. . A picturesque old bridge over the river was a must for a photo stop. While there we heard voices from the direction of a huge rocky bluff opposite the bridge and spied rock climbers high above the ground.

Beyond this point the hills became higher, more like mountains and the houses had a look of Swiss chalets set on expansive green hillsides. We soon arrived at our hotel near Annecy, although it is so new the GPS had no idea how to help us find it in an extensive new commercial area. Luckily we had consulted Google Earth when booking the hotel and were able to recognise some landmarks. What a pleasure to check into another large clean room in a budget hotel. No fridge but really we don't mind.

A trip into nearby Annecy followed and we were captivated by the Old Town with narrow lanes, flowery squares and something like a touch of Venice with water flowing through and around the town. It being Sunday, parking was free and the town was buzzing with families enjoying the surroundings. Of course the Old Town is just a small part of Annecy and the whole place has a really good feel about it. We would like to spend longer here and even tackle part of the walk around the lake, but tomorrow we need to be off to tackle really high mountains - in the car of course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Annecy Annecy
Annecy

Medieval building shaped like the prow of a ship.
Annecy Annecy
Annecy

The waterway through the old town.
Annecy Annecy
Annecy

Tourist enjoying the sights.
Annecy Annecy
Annecy

Lakeside view.
Annecy Annecy
Annecy

Another carousel


Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb