Villefranche-sur-Mer


Advertisement
Published: November 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

A real drawcard on the french riviera...
We planned out a walk to Villefranche from Nice....one we had done many times. I opted for the bus to the top so I would only have to walk down....
We trammed to Place Garibaldi and walked to Port Lympia where there were plenty of buses heading in Menton direction. 5 mins up the hill we disembarked to walk the footpath that ran along the top of the cliffs.
Cloudy day so it was just the right temperature for easy walking. Around the corner past the 'Batterie'. Quite a cliff side to make this road out of. As we started to descend we came across the 'Princess Grace' memorial of 1982-1983. A lovely view from here into the bay of Villefranche-sur-Mer. A cruise ship anchored, typical for this time of year. Passengers tendered in for a meal at one of the well established restaurants that cater for the well healed from around the Riviera.

In 1295 the Count of Provence, enticed the inhabitants of Montolivo and surroundings to settle closer to the coastline in order to secure the area from pirates. By charter, he established Villefranche as a "free port", thus the name, granting tax privileges and port fee rights that lasted well into the 18th century.
A natural deep harbour port - By the late 19th century, it had become an important Russian Navy base and the Russians established an oceanographic laboratory in the old lazaret. The St Jean Cap Ferrat peninsula makes up part of this harbour and part of the path we walked the other day is called 'customs route' notably to the smugglers and pirates and to the customs department.
Enjoyed walking around the marina and then back the other way to the beach where we sat and ate our lunch. A stroll in through the oldtown and into the church with it's 20-30degree sloped floor up to the altar. Église Saint-Michel (Saint Michael's Church) was built in the 1750s in the baroque Italian-style.

The Rue Obscure or “Dark Street” is a passageway under the harbour front houses which dates back to 1260.

The Villa Léopolda on the hills surrounding was once the residence of King Leopold II of Belgium and has been tagged as “the most expensive house in the world”.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb