East along the coast to Sanary-sur-Mer


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Insisted that we made an early start today as concerned that unless we arrived in good time, at next campsite, there would be no places, this being a public holiday weekend. Had phoned a couple of the 3 possible ACSI campsites but been unable to reserve for less than a 5 night stay.
We managed a 9am getaway, which is pretty good for us. Unfortunately the whole world and his mate was on the road today as well and many were going in the same direction as us. We took the scenic coast road towards Toulon, at one point having to divert up a very steep, narrow and windy hill and down again to avoid a closure of the main road. Felt sorry for the man who’s car had not made one of the bends and one wheel had dropped off the road edge into a deep ditch.
We bypassed pretty Bormes-les-Mimosa which we remember from our gite holiday in Villecroze with Nigel and Lynne. Had the very best Tuna Nicoise there we have ever tasted. Had hoped to see a little of Le Lavandou but traffic in both directions far too busy with lots of stops and starts. Hyere was no better. We love the way the road was lined with flowers and flowering shrubs - oleander, plumbago, jasmine, hibiscus and bougainvillea -much of the way, wonderfully colourful and beautiful.
Near Toulon Clairssa Tomtom decided we should use the motorway and we agreed, as the traffic was too heavy to go through the town. We went under Toulon in a 4 km tunnel and from that point the traffic eased.
We had three ACSI campsites marked as possibles. The first was tucked away down some backstreets so we decided to try the next, a few miles away a few miles away but had to struggle through slow holiday traffic to get this. This one is at Sanary-sur-Mer (Campasun Mas-de-Pierredon), 4 km from the coast and is lovely. Only drawback is its very close proximity to the motorway so traffic noise, but the pool is superb and it also has a good restaurant and bar area. Our pitch has its own separate sanitaires which is quite a bonus plus wifi (have checked and that is pronounced ‘whiffy’ here not ‘whyfye’ as in the UK) is free which is really good news.
Had a swim in the lovely pool and though the sun was out and hot we had to cover up as a rather evil chilly wind decided to blow on us. It appears that this wind blows in the afternoons so we will go out in the morning tomorrow I think.
Both of us are suffering from what I have decided to call French Flu. Hopefully tomorrow we will have stopped sniffling and sneezing when we go on the scooter to explore this area of the south coast we have not visited before.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb