European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Orange
September 23rd 2013
Published: September 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

OrangeOrangeOrange

Outside the Theatre Antique d'Orange
Our guests had departed so the courts at Nyons beckoned us again. The morning started out sunny & cool but by the time we’d finished our game the day had really warmed up. Dawn, Michel & Dawn’s sister Diane were heading from Castres to Orange where we planned to meet them in the afternoon. After a series of SMS messages we managed to co-ordinate our movements and met them at their hotel. After a drink and a chat, we headed to the amazing Roman amphitheatre (Théatre Antique d’Orange) and Arc de Triomphe for which the town is famous. The amphitheatre, built under Augustus' reign in 1AD was quite incredible in age, size and the degree of preservation. Some presentations at the top of past ‘spectacles’…opera, plays & rock concerts, gave a real feel for what it must be like to attend a show there. The Arc de Triomphe, built in 1BC was also interesting and beautifully detailed in its decoration. A drink followed by a tasty dinner with our friends completed the day. We made plans for tomorrow when we’ll meet again in Nyons.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

OrangeOrange
Orange

Dawn, Michel, Diane & Ced inside the amphitheatre
OrangeOrange
Orange

Seats of the amphitheatre, capacity 9000
OrangeOrange
Orange

Magnificent stage of the amphitheatre
OrangeOrange
Orange

Arc de Triomphe
OrangeOrange
Orange

Detail on the Arc de Triomphe


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb