Chapter 4 - DAY 29 - Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
October 5th 2011
Published: October 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

St Paul de VenceSt Paul de VenceSt Paul de Vence

A beautiful French medievil hilltop town
ST PAUL DE VENCE-FRENCH MEDIEVIL TOWN


We had a very quiet day today, after breakfast we headed about 20 minutes to the traditional French medieval village of St Paul de Vence. The town is situated on a narrow spur between two deep valleys and as such offers spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. From the lookout we could also see former James Bond Roger Moore’s home.

The village is very arty with lots of galleries and also individual artists displaying their work – lots of interesting shops. The pavements have mosaics built into them which helps to give the place a very nice feel. It really is a lovely village, we went early so it was fairly quiet but even as we left at about 11am the crowds were starting to build, in peak season I’m sure it would be wall to wall people. There is a very nicely kept cemetery which is definitely worth walking around; it contains the grave of Russian born painter Mark Chagall.

St Pauls is close to Cannes and during the Film Festival there is a restaurant there where all the stars like to hang out at. Apparently it has paintings from
St Paul de VenceSt Paul de VenceSt Paul de Vence

an example of the Mosaics worked into the pathways
some of the greats on the wall. It wasn’t open when we were there so didn’t get the opportunity to have a quick look

NICE CITY CENTRE
We were then dropped off in the centre of Nice for some free time, we had lunch at a street side cafe and had good look around the historic quarter. There is huge Central Square with a light rail running through it. The light rail was very quiet and looked like a good way of getting around. As luck would have it when we were ready to go back to the Hotel our bus drove past o drop some others off so we were able to catch a ride back and have a bit of an explore of the beach.

FRENCH RIVIERA – THE BEACH
By comparison to the ones at home the beach is actually quite disappointing, it is covered in large pebbles and stones and accordingly is hard to walk/sit on.

We had a paddle in the sea and enjoyed a quiet drink at the bar looking out over the clear blue ocean to the horizon where it meets the clear blue sky MAGIC. As an aside
French RivieraFrench RivieraFrench Riviera

Having a paddle in the Medeteranian Sea opposite our Hotel
to ensure the water stays blue they pump blue dye into it, somehow that just seems wrong.

There aren’t many restaurants near our Hotel so for dinner we got some salmon and ham, tomato, onion and bread from the little supermarket and had a ‘picnic’ in Don and Sue’s room. We even managed to sneak some salt and pepper from one of the room service trays.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb