Another lovely drive today to LaColle-Sur-Loup, in Provence but not quite yet at the sea.


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last night’s thunder storm was soon over and apart from the dripping wet towel we’d left out the overnight rain did nothing except leave some exceedingly attractive bands of clouds hanging round the mountains. Certainly made for some interesting photos on our drive and the ‘new camera’, the HTC phone, seems to have managed its new role in life quite well.

We headed back down the Vercors valley to the outskirts of Grenoble, managed to avoid any snarl up in the traffic and took the road due south.

The scenery was fantastic, lovely anyway but with the addition of the cloud decorations on the mountain tops, quite wondrous really. The further we drove the more the weather improved and the grey morning start soon became lovely blue again and warm again – plus lots of fluffy whiteness from the remaining low clouds.

Due south via Monestier-de-Clermont, Chichiliane, La Croix-Haute.

Not used this road before and it’s excellent. The mountains soar on either side, the roads are good, the traffic quite light, as it generally is in France. Wonderful drive.



Still heading due south, avoiding the road through Gap as we’ve used that before, then through Sisteron, Digne-les-Bains, Castellane and again avoiding Grasse, to our campsite at La Colle-sur-Loup.

The first 3/4s of the drive were nice and easy and scenic all the way. The last ¼, also incredibly scenic but not so easy, in fact quite tortuois. Bob commented he has never driven so far on roads with a rock face to one side. Had to breath in a few times as we went round bends on very narrow sections of precipice but happy to report we arrived at our campsite with Tandy and ourselves in one piece.



Have to say that Bob has excelled himself in choosing our route to the south this time. We've never used such a consistently scenic route and most of the roads are ones we've not travelled before.



The weather forecast was for thunder storms in the afternoon but none materialised though there’ve been a few rumblings and we had a few drops of rain when we were dropping down the last, very windy, mountain. A swim at the campsite pool was an absolute necessity as it is very humid and we are considering switching the fan on. Having to keep all windows, door and roof vents well protected as there seem to be rather a lot of biting things flitting about including extra large ants.

We have a choice of lovely places round here to visit tomorrow, will decide in the morning once we’ve checked the weather.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb