Van Gogh and more friends.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Arles
June 16th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Patrick and Francoise and their boatPatrick and Francoise and their boatPatrick and Francoise and their boat

You can see Michelle in the background inspecting it!
We were early at our campsite near Arles as we managed to be up and away from Agde by 11.30am. So we set off on our bikes to the old centre of Arles, supposedly, say our campsite, to be 2 kilometres away, supposedly was the right word.
We had been before when Terry was young. However he was once again dragged around the old haunts and scenes painted by Michelle's favourite artist Van Gogh. We even sat and had a drink in the cafe made famous by his painting 'Cafe Terrace at Night'' and we certainly paid for the privilege.
We returned to our campsite about 8.30pm and took a stroll around. Hearing noises we saw a group of people watching Germany versus Holland on a TV outside a gigantic German motor home. Terry ventured forward to check the score and was immediately invited to join the crowd, which we did. "Have a beer", "No thank you". "You must have a beer", "No, thank you, I'm fine". "One beer will be good" "No tha..... Oh ok then just one," The 'audience' consisted of our two German hosts, eight Dutch, two Scots and your bloggers. Needless to say one beer became several, especially when Germany won and wine, schnapps and beer flowed until nearly midnight. Next morning we set off to see Patrick and Francoise whom we had met sailing 13 years ago but have not seen for 6 years. In 2007 they both gave up work to realise their dream, to design and build their own ocean going yacht and sail off to the Caribbean. They had launched their boat last year but had broken a rudder and the boat was in dry dock. The boat is an incredible achievement and they have done almost all the work themselves even making the keel and mast. Patrick even made his own LED lightbulbs (yes really). When we arrived they were working on two new, improved rudders and we were anxious not to keep them from their work but they immediately dropped everything and welcomed us on board where we stayed for 7 hours. They had made us a lovely evening meal, even crowning it with a bottle of champagne. What a lovely, adventurous couple they are and we are privileged to have them as friends. Arles is OK for a couple of days so on our final day Michelle rested in the sun by the pool whilst Terry did some washing. Off next, hopefully, to Port Grimaud, near where we once spent 5 summers. This time just for two weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Van Gogh's hospitalVan Gogh's hospital
Van Gogh's hospital

Where he painted most of his best paintings (in our opinion)


18th June 2012

travellers
Another interesting entry, what wonderful friends you have made on your travels. Port Grimaud is where i spent my honeymoon in a tent, 34yrs ago in my other life. Looking forward to seeing the photos. x

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb