Provence


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We decided to take a few days out from sightseeing to stay in one of France's finest wine regions - Chateneuf du Pape. A really gorgeous town. And historic - the Pope whilst living in Avingon planted the first vineyards. It is a wine lovers paradise with tastings (degustation) at every corner of this charming town. We had a day of wine tastings, and another day exploring the country side and eating a delicious three course lunch.
Orange was our next destination, a day trip, to see a magnificent and excellently preserved Roman theatre. We stayed two nights near Fontaine de Vaucluse - a powerful and beautiful waterfall that emanates from an underground source. We also clambered up to the ruined chateau overlooking the small town.The rich red and yellow ochres of Rousillon in the Luberon National Park was the next Provence surprise. The sand was once mined for industrial use but now the region focuses on tourism and preserving the stunning landscape.Disaster struck with a minor bike accident involving reversing our campervan into a lightpost - see pics. Needing to find a bike shop we spent some time in Apt and St Saturnin les Apt, a lovely, sleepy town with a ruined chateau.Driving through lavender fields we stopped for three nights in Moustiers St Marie renowned for ceramics. The town is set against stunning cliffs and claims to be the prettiest town in France! We spent the next few days exploring the surrounding area on foot and had a great bike ride to the nearby lake called Lac de Sainte Croix, quite a sight with its pristine blue waters.The breathtaking scenery continued with Gorges du Verdon. We did a three hour hike down to the waters edge and then drove a circuit at the edge of the largest canyons which was amazing but unfortunately the highest parts were covered in fog, so no view and a scary drive. We saw vultures circling above the cliffs and some brave abseilers. It was hard to take photos that truly encapsulated the epic proportions and beauty of these gorges - just take our word for it that it was incredible!Our first view of the Mediterranean came after a scenic drive through Comps sur Artuby and onto Antibes. Enjoying strong sunshine we took a swim in the campsite pool and visited the busy town the next day, including a visit to Musee Picasso.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb