French Riviera - Walk along the Red cliffs of Dramont


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Agay
October 1st 2021
Published: October 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Walk along the Red cliffs of Dramont

Set against the natural backdrop consisting of the Esterel mountain range, Saint Raphael on the French Riviera is a well known seaside holiday resort, halfway between Cannes and Saint-Tropez.

With 36 kilometres of coastline stretching from the Alpes-Maritimes through the Gold Coast (Corniche d’Or). Saint-Raphael has over 28 different beaches : sandy beaches, pebble beaches, creeks and rocky inlets.

So today was My first tour with Heygo guide Eniko, what a beautiful walk following the rocky paths along the coastline & into the forest. The views were stunning & the intense red cliffs against the beautiful blue Mediterranean and the green pine trees was breathtaking

A less happy memory for this part of Saint-Raphael is the landing of the allied troops during the Second World War on the Dramont beach.

A huge battle to retake Provence and liberate the rest of France from Nazi occupation during World War 2 took place here during the night of the 14th and 15th of August 1944.

The Dramont district is also known for its semaphore, built in 1860 on top of the ruins of the watchtower dating back to 1562.

Out of the 59 semaphores in France, the one in Le Dramont is the main one in this area. The air and sea traffic controllers have a breathtaking 360° view 150 meters above sea level. These watchers conscientiously guard the Saint-Raphael and Agay bay and take turns 7 days a week.

https://www.heygo.com/tours/walk-along-the-red-cliffs-of-dramont


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb