Day in La Rochelle


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » La Rochelle
June 20th 2016
Published: June 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We've visited La Rochelle once before, via boat from Ile d'Oleron. This time we took the rather handy train. Only 10 minutes to Chatelaillon station by scooter and 11 minutes on the train to La Rochelle. Easy. A good decision as not a good weather day, grey and chilly. Better walking round a lovely town than braving the windy seafront.

Had a lovely day and out of the wind it was a little warmer but we saw lots of people huddled up in their big coats. Very unseasonably cold.

There seemed to be quite a number of Euro 2016 supporters about, especially Irish. The town was buzzing with lots of visitors, all wandering about taking in the sights the same as us.

We had a picnic in the main square for lunch, courtesy of the local boulangerie and a couple of warming coffees in the cafes on the harbour front.

Back on the train to town and then arranged to meet sister, Liz, for dinner as she had just arrived in town with husband Graham and Graham's brother and sister-in-law.

This is where the scooter comes in so handy. At 6.30 we jumped onto Kisbee and scooted to their hotel. Lovely meal and excellent company. Always extra special to meet up with family and friends like that.

Back at the campsite we got everything ready for our departure next day. Sudden news that old friends were down on Biscarrosse Lake and that the weather was fantastic made out decision for us. Where shall we go next ? South !


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb