Lovely day in La Flotte and a pure gold sea bass.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » La Flotte
September 6th 2012
Published: September 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Early (ish – we are on holiday !) start to the day as we were visiting the lovely market in La Flotte which is mornings only and very busy.

There are two excellent fish stalls but unfortunately we don’t recognize many varieties of fish on sale and also have the problem of not wanting to prepare anything too ‘fish smelly’ in the Tandy. I decided to take the easy option and buy sea bass. The first stall didn’t have any (I discovered this only after accidentally jumping the queue to the indignation of the French lady at the front). The second stall did so I pointed at a nice plump fish and asked for it to be filleted. Oops really should have checked the price first. So expensive I am not going to say here how much it was but it will in future be referred to as the golden sea bass.

Though the market is lovely it is a real tourist trap and the prices are 50% more than anywhere else (100% in the case of sea bass !). We decided not to get our fresh veggies on the market but from the supermarket which is much easier as we can choose our own rather than getting whatever the stall-holder cares to hand to us.

We scootered on to the supermarket and shopped for a few essentials and topped the scooter up with fuel before returning to the campsite to put our precious fish safely into the fridge. A little worried about the scooter which is getting a bit old and has become even noisier than it was before. It has developed a habit of stopping abruptly when Bob asks it to idle. Bob says it's big ends must be going, I just hope they don't go when we are 20 miles away from the Tandy !

We love La Flotte especially when the weather is as perfect as at present. We went back into town on the scooter and stopped for lunch in one of the many harbour-side restaurants. Brochettes de Crevettes and a plate of frites shared between the two of us. A feast. Considering that this is low-season September, La Flotte was pretty busy with the car parks full and bikes absoluely everywhere.

Fortunately the shops were closed for lunch on this second trip to town so I enjoyed a very economical session of window shopping.

Back at the campsite that wonderful swimming pool beckoned and as well as getting ever fitter with my 20 daily lengths of the pool, I am now definitely acquiring a tan.

After the swim we had a wonderful, fantastic, delicious, etc. etc. meal. It had to be good as it was the golden sea bass which Bob barbecued (perfectly thank goodness) and I served with beurre blanc sauce, leeks, peas and new potatoes. My Tandy kitchen is very well equipped.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb