Northwards but not quite to the Loire yet.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » Montreuil-Bellay
September 18th 2013
Published: September 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We’ve left the sea behind and ventured inland. It seems my suspicions were correct. While we have been enjoying some quite reasonable weather on the coast, inland it has been raining. And raining it was today, for quite a good part of our drive. We used dual carriageways to get us round and past Bordeaux and it was drizzling all the way. Once clear of the city we changed to quieter roads as we drove due north up through the vineyards. We went round Cognac and a few other towns which got in our way and through a few smaller villages. Sunflowers all the way today, they look as if they are ready to have their heads chopped off.

We only stopped for fuel and lunch as it wasn’t a very fast drive and we had quite a way to go. At one point we got stuck behind a wide load. I directed Bob along a country road which ran parallel with the one we had been on and we hurtled along in the Tandy for a good 8 miles only to find, back on the original road but 8 miles further along, we were still behind. Fortunately managed to lose it in the next town where we could go through the middle but it couldn’t as it was too big !

Making a note here that both Parthenay and Thouars looked well worth a visit but we didn’t have time to stop today.

Campsite for the next two nights is Les Nobis in Montreuil-Bellay. This fortified town, complete with chateau, is on the Thouet river and just a few miles south of Saumur on the Loire. Our campsite is at the foot of the chateau on the river. I was really hoping to swim as the pool is supposed to be open until the end of the month but sadly it has just been closed for the end of season. Can’t blame them as I suspect not many people will have swum in the last few days as it has been raining and it not terribly warm but it would have been warm enough for me. I must admit I never rely on the campsites having pools open once past mid-September.

We went for a little stroll along the river but decided to save our explorations of the town and chateau for tomorrow as we have a full day here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb