Last night at Le Crotoy then home via the Calais to Dover ferry


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Calais
June 30th 2016
Published: July 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

And so to home - for the second time in a month. We observed as we drove to Le Crotoy that last time we had been here, on the 2nd of June, it was also raining though it was colder then and I didn't take much notice of anything that time around as I was rather poorly with my nasty virus.

A long driving day today up from the Loire Valley to the Normandy coast on the Somme Estuary. Through the fields full of grain crops waiting for sunshine to be harvested. a little later than normal this year I'm sure and a lot of fields looked as if they have been badly damaged by heavy rain. The roads are straight, sometimes stretching in a long line as far as the eye can see with not a bend in sight.

Bob decided to be brave and drive through Rouens. Yes I know that we normally go out of our way to avoid it but just this once..... We got out unscathed but it was touch and go at one point as we went through the most appalling snarl up at traffic lights where vehicles came from all directions and nobody seemed to know which lane they were in. Easy from there as we know the way to Le Crotoy having stayed on the aire there lots of times.

Price has gone up this year from €5 to €7. Maybe because they've installed a card machine - always been a problem making sure I have enough coins.

Expensive stop this time. Bought a ticket then stupidly put it on the side window where it promptly disappeared down the glass and is presumably now somewhere down the bottom of the door panel. Bought another and ignored ridicule from Bob !

Once the rain had eased and we'd had dinner we walked the short distance into town and had a last coffee. Don't know why French coffee always tastes better but

it does.

Early start next day to catch the 9.50 ferry from Calais. Clouds were so low we couldn't see the tops of the wind turbines which was no loss as we don't enjoy them.

Rain rain all the way and we observed that this month we have travelled to and from the Normandy coastline twice and all four journeys have been in miserable rain.

Not a problem once on our ferry but we didn't go on deck.

Home again by early afternoon. Greeted by a bit of a jungle in the garden. Obviously had rather a lot of rain while we've been away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



3rd July 2016

Welcome home!!!
There's nothin like and English garden!
21st July 2016

Thank you
Garden is looking pretty good today with all this glorious sun. That's why we stay home July and August to make the most of the best of the British summer.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb