Long drive from Ile de Re to the Gets region at Aignan.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Auch
September 9th 2015
Published: October 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Up and off by 9am as drive of well over 200 miles to get us to within spitting distance of the Pyrenees.



Bypassed La Rochelle using main roads but after that used far quieter roads including bypassing Bordeaux and crossing the Dordogne. Bob had let Tina TomTom plan her own route after instructing her to keep off the main roads and she did well. OK some roads were a wee bit on the small side but most were straight, pretty empty and heading due south.

We pulled into a carpark at St Emilion to have lunch as had failed to find a reasonable stopping spot by the side of the road. Of course as soon as we set off we found some lovely lunch spots including one by the river.



Today we must have driven past 1 million corn stalks, 2 million sun flowers and 3 million bunches of grapes. Not forgetting some lovely chateaus and vineyard caves, all built with golden Dordogne region stone. According to the Tandy windscreen we also killed 1000 flies. So many that, at one point, I thought the camera was playing up as it was slow to focus. Silly me, it couldn't see the woods for the flies !



We arrived at last as our campsite for the night. Camping le Castex at Aignan late afternoon. Nicely in e for a swim in the lovely pool. Much warmer here. No chill wind for the first time and have Tandy windows wide.



Lovely view from the site across the sunflowers, which, as I type this, are having their pretty smiling heads chopped right off. On the horizon we can just the Pyrenees with some flashes of lightening to make the prospect of a trip across them tomorrow, interesting!



Just off now to count stars. No light pollution here and sky totally cloud free so the starry display is quite exceptional.






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb