Le couesnon en sa folie mit le Mont en Normandie -The river, that made the difference - Mont Saint Michel - Part Two


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
August 19th 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

While we were walking along the rampart, I stopped almost every meter to take photos. I did not think that it was a nuisance for any of us, but surely it was new to Monsieur X.

We took a narrow road, the only road inside the wall, which was almost cramped with souvenir shops both sides of the road. While we stopped on top of the fortified wall, I was told the history behind the river by Monsieur X, which made this phenomenally great structure belonged to the region of Normandy. I noticed Monsieur X, gazing at far end of the river Coueson. It is running like a snake into the bay of Mont Saint Michel.

Once we entered through the main gate, we had to wait in a long queue to buy two tickets. To be honest, it was not the truth. We did not wait a second, instead we tucked ourselves through a chain to get back to the front of the queue. It was not right! We began to discuss about this outrageous queue jumping habit. Is this behaviour part of daily life in France or in Sri Lanka?

We changed our topic back to the river as we realised that it was a shameful act of us. It may sound a bit boring to read the below text about the cause of the river Couesnon. Nevertheless I found this piece of information, which was quiet interesting to hear in details.

This story is about the river, the unfair river, the Couesnon is running from the department of Mayenne in north-western France, forming an estuary at Mont Saint-Michel. Its final stretch forms the border between the historical duchies of Normandy and Brittany. Its historically irregular course, alternating between two beds on the north and south of the Mont Saint-Michel but eventually definitely settling to the south bed, inspired the saying "The Couesnon's madness placed Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy" as the Mont is just to the Norman side of the river's current mouth.

The truth is hard to accept, the administrative boundary separating the two regions does not depend on the course of the river, and is about six kilometres west of the Mont.

Monsieur X finally told me while punching his right side of the chest, at least this great place belongs to US! The French!

Having visited inside & outside of Mont Saint Michel, three of us quietly walked to the car park. The sky was beautiful, covered with bright doted clouds. It was sunny in the late afternoon with a gentle wind blowing from the direction of English Channel.

I must admit that, it was an amazing experience & certainly a memorable day for me! I personally had one of the memorable days to remember.

We might have spent four hours visiting places, then we decided to leave for our final destination. The next stop is Little Paradise, in Bretagne!

I felt that my little brain was full of historical knowledge, as I was having an agonising headache. It could be a cause of de-hydration; I imagine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb