Travelling day to Benouville on the Canal du Caen.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Benouville
June 28th 2015
Published: June 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Bob had carefully chosen a route, for our quite long travelling day, to be half quiet country roads and half dual carriageway. It worked very well and Clarissa Tomtom was pretty much up to the challenge.

We followed the coast down to St Brieuc passing several seaside towns, including Binic, a very popular holiday resort with the French and where I stayed for a few day a long time ago,

As usual for France everywhere is lovely and tidy and clean, full of flowers and the roadsides totally lacking in litter. I wish I knew what it is the French do to persuade people not to just drop their rubbish down. I know of several areas of Britain which could take lessons from them.



From St Brieuc we took a faster dual carriageway to get us along the next stretch of coast. We caught a glimpse of Le Mont St Michel in the distance as we whizzed past. Back then onto lovely country roads meandering their way through the green and gentle countryside of Normandy. Past pretty churches, lots of flowers and fields full of all sorts of crop.



We arrived at our campsite Les Hautes Coutures by 3pm. We were allocated a ‘convenient’ pitch – close to the sanitaires, across from the pool and sloping more than our Millenco ramps could handle. This means that when the fridge door is open it swings wide with a bang but at least we are sloped in the right direction that we won’t fall out of bed ! If we were staying more than one night we would not have accepted the pitch but we are so it will do.



The campsite has direct access to the Canal du Caen so we went for a walk along it to see the Pegasus Bridge 500 metres up stream. An impressive memorial stands at the site where the gliders landed 6th June 1944 to take control of the bridge. Magnum ice-creams in hand we walked back to the campsite just stopping to watch the bridge lift at 4.30pm to let two tall masted boats through.



Last swim of the trip. Feeling virtuous now having done my 20 lengths daily for the last 17 days. There will of course be no more swimming for me until September now as I really never fancy swimming in indoor local pools so only swim when we are on holiday.





Tomorrow is the last night of the trip and we have another driving day ahead of us and no swim as we will be stopping at the aire in Le Crotoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



28th June 2015

Paddling
I paddled at Bude yesterday after a beach picnic with a friend. Lovely day and we walked up the headland afterwards my favourite short walk. You just missed Melissa and co. They're in Paris. Love xx
29th June 2015

paddling
no more paddling unless we have a little one at Le Crotoy this evening. xxxx
29th June 2015

Yes
Do it, always do it if you get the chance.
30th June 2015

Paddling
I did it !
30th June 2015

Paddling
I did it !
1st July 2015

hot hot h...
good! good! That "promised" hot weather is here and I, whose little engine overheats, an gently perspiring at this early hour! Had newish friends round yesterday and made rose petal sorbet for only the second time ever, very delicate flavour but suited those ladies who are always dieting. Made lange de chat twice, different recipes, and both times the result was one big biscuit. Haircut and colour this morning,- get out the wallet. WI tonight and am on tea making duties. Love Rxxx

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb