La Creuse and Cycling - Kate


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Limousin
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have been so busy day to day and especially while cycling for 7 days - once we got to our destination and finally relaxed, then got ready to eat dinner - we were so absolutely 'buggered' writing about it all was the last thing on our minds. But now I have ome moments I will reminisce for you.

The area or 'Department' we rode through was called La Creuse, named after the river Creuse which flows into the Loire. It is populated by small medieval hamlets and towns and is the rural area of the Limousin Region.


Let me outline our Tour de France.

Day One - 45kms Aubusson Round Trip - Hotel D'Or
Day Two - 51.5kms Aubusson to St Avit de Tardes - Moulin Teteix
Day Three - rest day at Moulin Teteix
Day Four - 31.34kms St Avit de Tardes to Villevaleix - La Domaine de la Couture
Day Five - 38 kms Villevaleix to Le Puy Haut - Chambre d'Hote
Day Six - 37kms Puy Haut to Boussac - Chambre d'Hote
Day Seven - 25.6kms Puy Haut to Chenerailles

We rode with a company called Bikeit You'll Likeit, run by Liz and David Hull, who are very very nice and helpful.
The idea of the tour is you get given a map and directions for each day of cycling and the address and details of your accomodation. David transported all our luggage by car and we were left to our own time schedule ... as long as we were there in time for dinner.

And of course when one is cycling through new and beautiful lands one wants to absorb it all. So our average speeds per day would vary between 14 and 19km/hour. There were plenty of up hills that were kindly followed by down hills. Some days were boardering on uncomfortably hot to downright chilly. All in all it was an extremely rewarding experience making our own way by pedal power to each new destination.

We met several new canine and feline friends along the way not to mention a heard of cattle that took a shine to Betty at Mainsat. (see video)

We experienced REAL french cuisine as we dined with the owners of each residence and had to tune our green ears to the local french vocabulary as we conversed over dinner.

I can't descride the feeling of pedalling into tiny hamlets and villages some with just 5 dwellings, most circa 12th Century, that are still inhabitated by local farm folk. Ancient Chateau's perched on hillsides others in the centre of a town and encircled by a moat. We navigated our way over cobblestones and bridges built by romans, sat by deathly still Etang's (lake) while snacking on bananas and pain au chocolat. Saw the internal workings of an ancient water mill that was being painstakingly but lovingly restored by an English gentleman named Len. Inhaling the strong scent of a French summer, so heavy with pollen and cow manure!

There is so much we want to say and I hope we get the time to put more down for you all .... we are busy little socialites and are just now about to join some people to go Swing dancing by the Seine!

I hope you enjoy the pictures. And there will be more to come after this lot.

Kate x


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



9th July 2007

Swing by the Siene
I'm so glad you did that! I was meaning to mention that to you but you gals are so with it you don't need me :)) The pictures around La Creuse are just too beautiful! Maria xx

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb