Carcassonne: More Than Just a Board Game


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Carcassonne
March 7th 2012
Published: March 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After spending a night at the campsite, the morning was a bit rough (at least for Elysia). It was a cold night, but we awoke to the beautiful sunshine. After packing up the tent and making some coffee, we headed to spend a few hours in the old town of Nimes, before making our way to the highlight of the day, Carcassonne. We were only in Nimes for two hours, which we felt wasn't enough, so we will have to go back. We had incidently picked up a walking tour pamphlet for Nimes, so we thought it would be a great way to get a feel for the city. Unfortunately we lost the brochure with the street map in it, but more fortunately, we were right in front of the tourist info centre when we lost it! They gave us another copy. Nimes was a royal city during the Roman empire, and you can see the Roman influence in the highlights of the city. On our walking tour, we visited a Roman temple and the Arenas, a smaller version of the Colosseum. They still hold concerts and events in there today. Nimes a busy little city, the old city with beautiful narrow streets and cafes in piazzas. Here at least we were finally able to see a bustling city. We stopped for some brioche at the boulangerie on our way out.

After Nimes, we headed to Carcasonne, about two hours away by the toll autoroute, but because we're on a money diet, we took the slow road as far as we could until we couldn't stand it any longer. It took us 4 hours.

Carcassonne is one of our favorite board games- if you dont know it, you should definitely introduce it into your life. We've been wanting to come here for a few years, since we fell in love with the game and googled the city to see if it actually existed. It did, in France. So here we are. As today was our seventh anniversary, we thought going to Carcassonne would be a great way to celebrate!!

When we arrived in Carcasonne, the sun was shining and it was warmer than it had been the past few days (15 degrees and with very little wind). We stopped to use the internet in the McDonald's parking lot to book a hotel in town. Five minutes later. We arrived at the hotel and they hadn't yet received our reservation. We were sure the concierge would get it shortly, so she didn't find it a big deal to take down our info and give us a room (it was pretty empty). We had booked a room that had a private pool (only because it was the same price as a normal room). When we questioned the woman about it, she had no idea what we were talking about (they obviously didn't have a room like that) but eventually she gave us a better room looking out over the castle. When we got up to the room (and it was beautiful!!), we were confused so we looked at the booking again. As It turned out, we were in the wrong hotel!!!! Elysia had recalled the name of the hotel incorrectly when we were driving up! Our hotel was the dumpier one next door. So with our tail between our legs, we slinked down the stairs and explained the confusion to the woman. She wanted us to stay there and even offered us a better rate, but we couldn't cancel our reservation so we moved across the street. Our real place
The Nimes ColosseumThe Nimes ColosseumThe Nimes Colosseum

Still used today!
was a small B&B run by a family. It felt like a real French place. It wasnt as nice, but it was still nice and homely. We had the private pool (it was closed) and a beautiful view of the castle on a huge terrace. It was just across the street from the walled city.

We spent what was left of the afternoon and evening exploring the old medieval city. Carcassonne is the largest medieval walled city that is still around today. It is really an amazing site. You are free to walk in and out of the old town as you want. There is no entry fee or closing times. It's a little town surrounded by a wall (actually inner and outer wall) with hotels, restaurants and a castle. You can really explore anywhere you want. Walk up and down the old cobblestone streets, walk on the walls, between them, in the moat, or through any of the entrances. It's an adults playground. You do, however, have to pay to get into the castle, and that's what we'll do tomorrow. The whole citadel is very impressive. It's no wonder that it has never been taken by force.
Making Coffee at a Rest StopMaking Coffee at a Rest StopMaking Coffee at a Rest Stop

Sure, they sold coffee... but what's the point in buying it when you have all the kit needed to make it?!?

Again, since it's off season, things are very quiet. Once again we found it difficult to find a place to eat because so many of the restaurants are closed for the winter. Fortunately, as we were drowning our sorrows In a chocolate shop, the shop owner told us about a place that would be open, so we can happily say we ate dinner tonight! We thought we'd be eating baguettes again for our anniversary dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Between the Two City WallsBetween the Two City Walls
Between the Two City Walls

This is where the city set up defensive trebuchets and catapults, etc.
Inside the Barbican, but Outside the Castle WallsInside the Barbican, but Outside the Castle Walls
Inside the Barbican, but Outside the Castle Walls

(See tomorrows blog entry to see understand where this is a bit better!)


22nd March 2012

Happy Anniversary!
What a lovely romantic place to be on your anniversary.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb