Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Blogs from Carcassonne
Latest Blogs from Carcassonne
- August 12th 2013 Nimes & Caracassone France 11 August 2013
by Words: 594 Photos: 47
- August 6th 2013 North to France
by Words: 392 Photos: 18
- July 6th 2013 Have kettle will travel!!
by Words: 863 Photos: 42
- April 25th 2013 Carcasson
by Words: 472 Photos: 3
- August 13th 2012 Cathar-tic
by Words: 281 Photos: 5
- July 29th 2012 Carcassonne and Albi
by Words: 1266 Photos: 0
- July 4th 2012 Day 19/20 - Sat/Sun 30 June & 1 July
by Words: 62 Photos: 6
- April 28th 2012 Carcassonne
by Words: 119 Photos: 28
- March 8th 2012 The Day That Started On A Good Foot, But Would Never End...
by Words: 1906 Photos: 26
- March 7th 2012 Carcassonne: More Than Just a Board Game
by Words: 886 Photos: 20
- August 29th 2011 Day 1: Carcassone
by Words: 572 Photos: 5
- July 2nd 2011 Carcassonne Castle
by Words: 447 Photos: 15
- June 10th 2011 Carcassone
by Words: 442 Photos: 3
- June 4th 2011 Carcassonne
by Words: 563 Photos: 4
- June 3rd 2011 Narbonne, Carcassonne et environs
by Words: 160 Photos: 29
- September 6th 2010 Medieval Cité of Carcassonne.
by Words: 112 Photos: 18
- August 29th 2010 KEVIN'S BIG SIX-OH!
by Words: 713 Photos: 9
- August 21st 2010 The rest of Carcasonne....except for Friday the 13th...
by Words: 436 Photos: 4
- August 21st 2010 Five lost days in Carcassonne
by Words: 307 Photos: 8
- August 13th 2010 WE'RE OUTTA HERE!
by Words: 672 Photos: 13