Lovely day today exploring Agde and along the l'Herault river


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Agde
September 16th 2017
Published: September 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

How very excellent of the sun to shine for us today, our last day at the coast. I refused to get out of bed until the sky in the window above my head had turned blue. Blue it turned and stayed that way all day even if there were some white clouds in it later on.



Kisbee was out and raring to go so off we went to Agde. Not much to see at Agde. The L’Herault river runs through it most attractively but apart from that…. The cathedral is ancient, fortified and back to 900s and built out of blocks of basalt, volcanic rock. Tall, dark and forbidding and nothing like any cathedral I’ve seen before. The chapel to the side has some nice stained glass windows. Had to buy my candle off a lady who was sitting there just for that purpose as the money box has been stolen. Hateful !



Wandered the streets, one way system and the ‘Promenade”, 50% of the shops shut up and decided we had ‘done’ Agde whatever its illustrious history might have been.



We scootered down a small 2 ton limit road along the river and followed it right down to the river’s mouth at Grau d’Agde. Concluded once we got there that I hadn’t been there before so it must have been Grau du Roi where I remember taking my girls in 1989.
The Grau D’Agde is the nicest of all three Agde places we’ve been. The river is lined with pleasure boats and then fishing boats and at the end of the estuary where we parked Kisbee and walked, lots of nice looking restaurants.

We had lunch in one, a superb lunch of very fresh and enormous prawns and a shared plate of pommes frites. Lovely.

The seafront, beach is really rather delightful all helped by a bright blue sky which makes everything much prettier.

We haven’t sat on the beach this year though we’ve had several days at the coast. Not really been hot enough and when it has been it’s been far too windy. Still nice to sit though on a bench just to watch the world go by and the sea come in.



Back to the campsite and then on to Cap D’Agde and Ile des Loisirs to take a look at some of the cars in the “Tuning” show (Custom Car show in English). Recognized several from our campsite. Quite amazing noise coming from some of their sound systems. Really rather entertaining.



Then back to the campsite, the short way this time and nicely timed for a swim in the excellent pool and a read in the sun.



Tomorrow we set off homewards albeit slowly. Thank you sun for shining on us for our last day at the coast for a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



19th September 2017
Agde cathedral windows

Cathedral
Lovely

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb