Nobody Told Me There'd Be Days Like These.....


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
September 22nd 2014
Published: September 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Apologies to John Lennon but it will soon become clear. Let's start with the Air France pilots strike! That would be the one that caused our flight to Biarritz to be cancelled 23 hours before departure. That set off a chain of action, not to mention stress, in order to go south to fulfil our plans. After numerous searches and attempts at finding a replacement , Easyjet was booked and confirmed . They must have decided, with their main competition out of the sky, that they were not a 'budget' airline for the time being. In fact, while waiting for the payment confirmation, a message came through with another price rise and would I accept it. My question to them is, do I really have another option. Anyway it was booked and I just had to print out boarding passes. Three internet points later I had these in hand. One guy who was trying to help just kept repeating the same mistakes I could have made all by myself. We then had to arrange train tickets for 5.30 am and we are away.

After spending about 3.5 hours on this endeavour, a bit of breakfast and sightseeing ( what was left of the day) was in order. The weather was great, Paris is amazing and just as you could imagine it. The pictures tell the story, I hope. We walked along the Seine River, had 3 women over a distance of about 200 metres try the ' just found a gold ring, is it yours, No, well you can have it anyway, can I have some money please.' The slight of hand was gifted, bending down to the bare footpath only to rise with the 'found'ring in their hand.

The French police are a bit harsh though. We gave, donated, 10 euros to 3 girls from the deaf and dumb society just before breakfast this morning , they could not speak themselves but were officially decked out, only to see them on another corner 2 hours later being bundled into a police car, screaming their innocence . A miracle! Little thieves!

An early start tomorrow but with a little luck we will be settled into St Jean Pied de Port by mid afternoon . Walking should be easier than today's dramas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



23rd September 2014
Croissants and Chocolate ..food of champions

Croissants!
Oh do I miss those French pastries--breakfast of champions, indeed! Here in Peru, a friend was trying to fly home, but was also grounded by the same Air France strike. Tricky when you've got a schedule, but glad you got it sorted.
24th September 2014

Vive la France
Bon jour Sue and Steve. Great photos. I especially love the font. Sue
24th September 2014

I Feel Your Pain
Don't you just love all the crap that goes with travel. Part of the rich tapestry of life I'm afraid. Forget the crap now nod just have fun! X
25th September 2014

Happy
Great to know you have arrived on your great adventure. X Marg
25th September 2014

bon jour sue and steve
gday mate all good here in oz don't eat too much ice-cream ..and how is the coffee there up to standard is it , pics look great , enjoy
25th September 2014

Walking, walking.....
28kms today and Sue is sore but happy. The coffee is just OK, I'm having one now in Larrasoane. Wifi is not great so the blog is a bit slow. Yesterday, over the Pyrenees was very challenging and hard to describe .; 25kms up a hill over shocking terrain but it was worth it to get there. Hope Dinny's good.
25th September 2014

Walking, walking.....
28kms today and Sue is sore but happy. The coffee is just OK, I'm having one now in Larrasoane. Wifi is not great so the blog is a bit slow. Yesterday, over the Pyrenees was very challenging and hard to describe .; 25kms up a hill over shocking terrain but it was worth it to get there. Hope Dinny's good.
26th September 2014

what
who's dinny

Tot: 0.633s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 102; dbt: 0.3561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb