Days 2-3: Paris Sightseeing


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
April 21st 2005
Published: May 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Mona LisaThe Mona LisaThe Mona Lisa

The Grand Gallery, Le Louvre
Exhausting day running all over Paris. Got dropped off at the Louvre this morning, which was awesome. Amanda told us if you looked at each piece of art for 1 minute it would take you 9 moths to see it all, so we really didn't get to see much in an hour and a half. The ceilings were amazing, and I was surprised by how many pieces pf art were on display in each room. We pretty much ran to the grand gallery to see the Mona Lisa, were the crowd was phenomenal. You only really got time to snap a picture or 2 and then move on. I also saw the Madonna of the Rocks (which is also in the Da Vinci code) and the Venus De Milo. We took some photos with 'La Pyramid Inversee', which was designed by a Chinese born American, and isn't made of 666 panes on glass like it says in Da Vinci code, also took some photos with statues out in the gardens. Got my Mona Lisa puzzle in the gift shop, and now just have to figure out the best way to get a 1000 piece puzzle back home.
Melissa, Nat M, Brigitte and I then made our way to the Notre Dame cathedral, where we climbed the steps up to the bell tower. The view was amazing over the whole of Paris. The bell is enormous, weighing more than 13 tonnes and cast in the 17th century.
We decided to then walk to Centre Pompidou, the 'inside out' building. It looks so cool, all the plumbing, pipes, air con ducts, lifts and everything are on the outside, and inside is a museum which we didn't have time to go to.
Decided to take the metro to Le Arc De Triomphe, which was an interesting experience. We climbed the 284 steps up to the platform roof, which was even more tiring thanthe climb up Notre Dame. The view was great, but we couldn't stay long as we had to meet for pick up at 4. Took a few photos then headed along Le Champs Elysees. Stopped and had a nutella crepe along the way, which was delicious, I can't believe I've never had one before.
It took us ages to get back to the campsite due to the traffic, so I only had like 10 mins to get ready for our night out
Venus De MiloVenus De MiloVenus De Milo

Me and Brigitte with Aphrodite
at the cabaret as I had to serve dinner. Dinner was lamb tortillas with cous cous and salad which was great. Left the campsite at 6.30 to drive to Montemarte, the red light district of Paris (as seen in Amelie). Saw lots of bohemians and sex shops, and of course the Moulin Rouge. It looks nothing like it did in the movie (there's no elephant) or in any photos I've seen of it. It looks like it could be any random shop front sign, but it's good to have had the opportunity to see it. We went to Ls Nouvelle Eve, which was an awesome Parisienne cabaret. They did the French can can, there was an acrobat and a contortionist, heaps of other dances and a mime statue guy with 2 heads that was freaky but really cool.
Got back to the campsite at about 11, and everyone headed to the bar. Had a few beers and chatted to everyone, found out Dave and Rach are from Como and Dave grew up in Engadine. Chatted to Marty and Amanda for ages, Marty is from London and only 23 and this is his second year driving for contiki. Amanda is 28, from 'BrisVegas', and was in the navy for a few years before deciding to travel. She's worked in Canad and the USA, went on contiki to see a bit of Europe and decided to become a tour manager. She's been doing it for 2 years and loves it, but misses surfing.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Le LouvreLe Louvre
Le Louvre

Playing with statues in the gardens
Notre DameNotre Dame
Notre Dame

the back of the cathedral
Notre DameNotre Dame
Notre Dame

View from the top
Pompidou CentrePompidou Centre
Pompidou Centre

the 'inside out' building
Le Champs ElyseesLe Champs Elysees
Le Champs Elysees

As seen from le arc de triomphe
Le Arc De TriompheLe Arc De Triomphe
Le Arc De Triomphe

Melissa, Brigitte and Nat M descending the stairs
Moulin RougeMoulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge

by day....
Moulin RougeMoulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge

..by night.....


14th September 2005

look again
The pyramid inversee does not have 666 panes of glass. The main pyramid does though. hope you had fun anyway though.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb