HONEY, I'M HOME!!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 6th 2015
Published: July 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Paris on Monday, actually getting to the apartment about 7:30 PM. The apartment is located on Rue Vaugirard, literally across the street from the Metro Station, which makes it really convenient when you are hot and tired. The first three days here were getting caught up on errands. The super-marche is two doors away, so we needed staples, like cheese, and bread and pate. Basics! and cafe of course! And we got ourselves monthly passes for the Metro for two districts, with a bonus that the rest of the districts are free after the 15th. And we got SIM cards, so we are set to go now. Oh and there was shopping, since the fabulous Paris Summer Sales started the 26th June. Kevin had picked up a couple of Groupons (the discounted meal coupons you can get, like GrabOne in New Zealand, and the States. Reservations had been booked for Tuesday and Thursday at two different places....we were ready for our first French dinners for the trip!

The first was called Restaurant Jadis, not too far from the apartment, so we walked. We had our usual three-course meals: I had chive risotto with warm veal cheek (cheeks
Kevin's Egg MimosaKevin's Egg MimosaKevin's Egg Mimosa

He really enjoyed this, with the smoked eel.
of any animal seems to be very fashionble these days...), Pollack (a whitefish) steamed with carrots and a Rhum baba with 2 ice creams, while Kevin had Egg Mimosa, which was smoked eel with cream of spinach, grilled pork belly and a strawberry tart. We were very pleased with our meals, and pleased with the price we paid as well.

Two nights later we went to Le Vieux Paris, a restaurant purported to be in the oldest building in the city. It was built in the 1580s to house the Bishop of Notre Dame. I had gazpacho, beef carpaccio and a hot chocolate fondant for dessert, while Kevin had Escargot, beef cheeks and Orange clafoutis. The food was very nice, as nice as the meal two nights earlier, but you were paying extra for the ambience and history of the building. If we had to call it, we would vote for Restaurant Jadis.

Up bright and early to be on the Eurostar for London and Great Yarmouth for the weekend, as you do....will report in after that...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Poached Pollock with carrotsPoached Pollock with carrots
Poached Pollock with carrots

Beautiful, minimalist....I didn't feel bad about eating the dessert that was coming...
Roast Pork BellyRoast Pork Belly
Roast Pork Belly

Presentation is everything....
Strawberry TartStrawberry Tart
Strawberry Tart

Look at this boat! This could be my next pastry challenge.
Baba au rhumBaba au rhum
Baba au rhum

And there was ALOT of rhum! With pistaschio ice cream and vanilla ice cream, because you need two.
The Vieux Paris RestaurantThe Vieux Paris Restaurant
The Vieux Paris Restaurant

The building, purported to be the oldest in Paris, though I don't get that, since Notre Dame is older. BUT! Maybe the oldest home? I love the wisteria.
Hot Chocolate FondantHot Chocolate Fondant
Hot Chocolate Fondant

These always make my evening worthwhile....


Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb