"Le Semaines des Guignols" and other amusing anecdotes


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 10th 2006
Published: September 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

French Satire

I saw my first french equivalent of "The Today Show" this afternoon and thought I'd post to tell you about it. It was really amusing and quite indicative of the french sense of humor (rather acerbic and witty) so all in all a good portrait of popular culture here. The show is called "La Semaine des Guignols" (A Week of Puppets) and is a satirical news presentation that mocks french politicians as well as taking pot-shots at other world leaders. The "actors" are clay puppet caricatures of the leading french politicans and their wives. On today's show we saw the following topics:

-The politician Devilliers (extreme right wing) spouting off about the penetration of black Senagalese into the bosom of France, daring to assimilate into the french culture and evolve into 'real human beings who walk on two legs' (horrors!),
-the wife of Nicolas Sarkozy (leader of the UMP party currently in power) trying to explain why she features so prominently in the national newspapers with her husband (apparently her husband is 'very photogenic'),
-Lionel Jospin (deposed political leader) desperately trying to get his foot back into the door of french politics after having dropped out of sight after he lost the last election; and
-Ségolène Royale (Socialist party primary candidate for the upcoming March 2007 presidential elecetions) carefully explaining that she does not put on 'affectations' while talking to the media, she simply talks normally and concentrates on the message


Really a very funny show. A lot of the jokes go over my head, but Dominique and Guillaume follow politics closely and I am sure that with time I will come to understand the insider remarks too... (I hope!)

I was tickled to see that the president of the United States is represented on the show by a Sylvester Stallone puppet. At first I couldn't figure out why they would choose him over, say, Schwarzenaegger, but then it was pointed out that he has big muscles and an empty head...duh. I can understand that!!! C'est très drole. The subject of today's American skit was the military interrogations at our 'secret military prisons' (AKA torture at Guantanamo Bay). 'Commandant Stallone' appeared with two army personel dressed in fatigues, covered in blood like a meat butcher and holding a human hand...truly a charming image. I wasn't sure how to defend us, especially after that District court ruling that the whole dentention scheme is unconstitutional...

However, the good news is that it's only the American government the French make fun of, not the American people. I guess if you are a fan of our government, that's not so good, but really I can't blame them...

Other Vignettes of French culture

Bureaucracy:

I have successfully opened a French bank account, but the experience really taught me what a culture of bureaucracy France has. Everything must be signed, "read and approved"; there were at least 10 pages to sign and more to read; multiples proofs of habitation and financial support had to be proffered...the list goes on! It's really quite amazing the nation does not come to a complete stop. I think I would go crazy working in an office here.

In the same vein, I was rejected in my first attempt to get my carte de séjour (a permit to stay for the year): my passport photocopy picture was too dark and I didn't have a bank account statement showing that I possessed at least 430 euroes. I had the other 9 pieces of info, copied, and the requisite 3 passport photos, but it was a no-go. Go figure. I think I've made 30 photocopies of things by now.

Street Life

Sunday mornings everyone goes out to buy the day's groceries at the street pattisseries, boulangeries, and charcuteries. You better go before noon, because all of the shops close and everyone goes home to enoy their day! There is no such thing as a 24/7 store here. I saw a café that is only open 4 hours each day!!! I got to enjoy the bustling street scene this morning while shopping for my picnic under the Eiffel Tower tonight.

At night, the French love to picnic at the city's monuments and in the busy squares. Last night we strolled by hundreds of people sitting on the steps up to the Sacré Coeur in Montmartre, enjoying bottles of wine and polishing off their baguettes at 11 pm. Food is to be savoured here, not rushed. A normal meal is a 1/2 hour; at a restaurant, at least 2.

Fashion

Yes, it is true. French women are born with an innate sense of fashion. At least the Parisiennes. Fortunately for me, the price doesn not see to matter, as long as you can assemble the following accessories: a scarf, nice shoes, a wide belt, and a classy bag. Right now ballet-flats are very popular feminine footware, so I bought myself some at the flea market yesterday for 5 euroes. A steal (even if they fall apart after 3 usages!!!)

Guys, in comparison, are lucky. If you are a guy you have it easy; all that you need is: a pair of jeans (tight is ok!), a pair of nice shoes, and a button down shirt. Open the top couple buttons to show a little chest, and you're fine ; )

So, with that bit of fashion advice, I'm off to stroll through the neighborhood of Trocadéro (très chic) on my way to the Champs de Mars under the Eiffel Tower to have a picnic:

Go ahead, envy me. It's ok.

~Loving Paris


P.S. In all seriousness, I would like to recognize the victims of September 11 for a moment, as tomorrow is the anniversary of the attacks. The French are also very aware of the significance of this day; their sympathy is with the American public. As is mine. Peace to all those who lost family and friends. My thoughts are with you.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb