A few days in London with daughter Elise, and then to the Latin district of Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
December 29th 2012
Published: April 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Taxi to the station at 0730. A bit of a shock to be back in travel mode. We took the train, but flooding saw it diverted through Reading to London, Waterloo. Lots of luggage in the aisles as people returned to London after brief holidays with family. Elise headed into work near Leichester Square. Our own luggage is already over 20kg each, and now the endless stairs of the Underground. Found our little flat in Cartwright Gardens. Catherine and I agreed that it had about the same space as our modest sailing boat back home. An epic lift of the luggage up four flights. Still it was very well located and warm.

We slipped in a visit to the Royal Academy of Art to see an exhibition of Constable, Turner and Gainsborough landscapes. Brilliant collection and insights into the collaboration between artist and printing plate maker. The Academy of Chemistry was in the same courtyard.

Greg's cousin Elaine (twice removed) invited us to dinner at her delightful cottage in Camden. It took us a bit to find our way from the station to the cottage. Distances are deceptively short, and Greg's sense of direction sometimes challenged. Elaine had hosted Greg the first time he came to London, back in 1979 with friend Tony Treston. Both had changed. Elaine introduced Greg to the music of Blondie. Great time together. Pickled walnuts were an unexpected treat. Headed home late by private taxi. We were a little concerned as Elise left us with this unmarked car and continued home. Greg's paranoia kicked in - Elise now the Londoner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our french girlsOur french girls
Our french girls

Rare sighting of their names
Florists everywhereFlorists everywhere
Florists everywhere

Latin Quarter


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb