Paris final day #19


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 22nd 2012
Published: July 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ah, our final day in France. We are sad but we are also running down. We awoke, went down for breakfast and came up and showered for the day. Again, we want to go to sites that we have not been to on previous trips. We enjoy exploring, walking around and learning some historical facts about what we are seeing and experiencing. We decided to start today with the Palais du Trocadero on the opposite side of the Eiffel tower from champ de mars and the side we are staying at.

There is so much history about this hill. For the 1878 World's Fair, the original Palais du Trocadéro was built here. Then for the Exposition Internationale of 1937, this Palais du Trocadéro was demolished and replaced by the Palais de Chaillot which now tops the hill. Like the old palais, the Palais de Chaillot features two wings shaped to form a wide arc. These wings were built on the foundations of those of the former building. A wide esplanade leaves an open view from the place du Trocadéro to the Eiffel Tower and beyond. The many fountains and numerous pools including 20 glorious water cannons are stunning and worthy of a visit. In 1940 with the Eiffel Tower in the background, Adolf Hitler was pictured during his short tour of the vanquished city. This became an iconic image of the Second World War.

Who needs a gym when you come here... I counted 200+ stairs just at this location. Then there are the blocks you walk to get to the metro stations and the blocks and stairs underground you walk just to arrive at the boarding station for the proper train. And then there is similar walking to get to the sorte (exit) or transfer train station. I wish I had a pedometer tracking the walking you do here. I need to see Dr. Shore as I am hurting and my hips and knees are popping like crazy!

We jumped back on the metro and headed to the Champs Élysées. The tour de France bicycle challenge arrives in to Paris today and it is crazy busy but we wanted to experience this since we are here. We originally tried to fly out this day but Jim couldn't find flights so we ended up extending our holiday and departing Monday (tomorrow) ... It probably had something to do with the event.

We wandered, stopped for lunch, wandered some more and decided to head back. We rested, packed, went down to print our boarding passes and watched the ride arriving in Paris via the comfort of our air conditioned hotel room.

We went around the corner to our new favorite restaurant Le 7eme Vin and enjoyed not only a great French meal but fantastic conversations. First we met a young couple from L.A that were in Paris for a week staying in an apartment they found on trip advisor. Susie is an accountant and Steve Doran is a mechanical engineer. They have 2 children, ages 2 and 4 that are home with a nanny. They were a delightful couple and we really enjoyed meeting and chatting with them. Next came a young couple from the Haig outside Brussels. They drove almost 4 hours to Paris and were a couple but not married. On the other side of us we met a couple from Barneby Canada, just outside of Vancouver and home of Joe Sakic. They have been in Europe for a month on a Rick Steve's tour. We enjoyed a versital and lively conversation for almost 3 hours with all 3 couples and it was so enjoyable. That is what I love most about traveling, meeting new people and hearing their stories. What a marvelous experience. It reminds us what a small world it really is. 8 people, 4 couples, different ages and countries all coming together in a tiny restaurant in Paris to share stories. So very special indeed.

So we are all packed, we weighed our checked baggage to be sure they are below the 50# maximum. I am so sick and tired of TV here. News news and more news, CNBC, BBC and CNN are all we get and I hate news. Give me a sappy, yucky soap opera! hahaha
Last night in Paris, sad but I can't wait to sleep in my own bed.

Tomorrow we get picked up by the Paris shuttle at 7:00am to take us to the Charles De Gaulle airport for our return trip to Denver via Toronto on Air Canada. It will be a long day.

Bonne Nuit for the final night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb