Markets Galore: Fleas and Food


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 10th 2006
Published: June 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dan at the Marche aux PucesDan at the Marche aux PucesDan at the Marche aux Puces

Dan at the sign reading "Beginning of the Flea Market" in Porte de Vanves.
Dan had been looking forward to today's visit to the Marche aux Puces (Flea Market) for a long time. It did not disappoint. We started out the day at a market on the southern edge of Paris, at Porte de Vanves. This is a decent sized market, with dealers setting up their tables each weekend, almost all seemed like professionals who do this on a regular basis, with a few "yard sale" type set-ups on the fringes. There was a wide variety of merchandise. We arrived just as the dealers were setting up and found some items to bring home as we browsed. A few dealers were willing to negotiate prices, but not the majority. Mid-morning we headed home to drop off our findings and then headed to the markets north of Paris.

These markets are the ones for which Paris is famous. They are outside the city limits, as they were banned at some point in history from the city because of the prevalence of fleas in the used clothing of aristocrats being sold to the poorer residents (hence the name, flea market). These markets are really amazing. You could spend several months in Paris, going to a different
Dan at the Marche aux Puces Part 2Dan at the Marche aux Puces Part 2Dan at the Marche aux Puces Part 2

Dan checking out the wares.
market each weekend and still not visit all of them. We managed to get through about two markets before our eyes glazed over and our feet begged us to go home. But we also found some neat treasures there. On the sidewalks and the Metro on the way home there were hordes of Basque soccer fans on their way to cheer on their World Cup team by watching the game in a pub or cafe - quite a site to see all the red and white clothing and the rowdy behavior.

For dinner tonight we picked out a rotisserie chicken from the market in our neighborhood and couldn't resist getting some of the potatoes cooked in the drippings below the chickens - DELICIEUX! We've included a few photos of the markets in the neighborhood. We can get fresh flowers, meats, cheeses, fruits & vegetables, desserts, and of course, bread just around the corner from the apartment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Porte de Vanves MarketPorte de Vanves Market
Porte de Vanves Market

A shot showing the flea market.
Tresors!Tresors!
Tresors!

Our loot.
Flower MenFlower Men
Flower Men

Two men walking down the street with armfuls of beautiful blue flowers.
Miam Miam!Miam Miam!
Miam Miam!

Miam miam (yummy)!! Tonight's meal: chicken, potatoes, cherries and wine.
Butcher shopButcher shop
Butcher shop

The counter at our neighborhood butcher shop. Notice the rabbits.
Maitre de fromage et saucissonMaitre de fromage et saucisson
Maitre de fromage et saucisson

The man at the cheese and salami market.
Dessert, anyone?Dessert, anyone?
Dessert, anyone?

Some beautiful selections from the bakery.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb