Chateau de Versailles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
February 26th 2011
Published: February 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The main gate of the Palace of VersaillesThe main gate of the Palace of VersaillesThe main gate of the Palace of Versailles

If you look closely you might just notice the subtle gilt work ;)

Friday 25 February


Today we decided to join the thronging crowds heading to the Château de Versailles (aka the Palace of Versailles). Its construction was started by Louis XIV ('The Sun King') in 1668. In it's heyday, it was the largest palace in Europe, housing up to 20,000 people (it really is huge)! Understandably, Louis found it a bit difficult to get any private time with his mistress, so in 1687 he had the Grand Trianon built - a small stone and pink marble palace at the opposite end of the 800 hectare (2,000 acre) grounds of the Château. Later, in 1762, Louis XV had the Petit Trianon built as a retreat. It later became a favourite of Marie Antoinette.

We enjoyed the Petit Trianon most of all - the moderate sized rooms all had large French windows with views into the gardens. The gardens of the Petit Trianon are much less formal and more intimate than the manicured grounds of the Château.

We had lunch in the restaurant (Angelina's) in the Château, which was fun. We had soupe l'oignon (French onion soup) which you were expected to eat with a table spoon (which was really very useful for
The Palace chapelThe Palace chapelThe Palace chapel

We weren't allowed in - but obviously some groups are.
getting all the big chunks of bread and the stretchy cheese into your mouth!). We'd tried French onion soup in a dodgy place in The Marais on the previous trip with disastrous results. This time it was great - almost as good as Ali's!

All in all, we spent seven hours there which was only just enough time for a pretty quick look - we were pretty tired when we got home! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The 'Hall of Mirrors'The 'Hall of Mirrors'
The 'Hall of Mirrors'

Apparently, this is where the Treaty of Versailles was signed
The Queen's bedroomThe Queen's bedroom
The Queen's bedroom

...complete with hidden doors in the corner (ooh la la!)
Lunch!Lunch!
Lunch!

Onion soup! Delicious!
The groundsThe grounds
The grounds

Looking from the rear of the Palace (and yes, the grounds do extend as far as you can see!)
Living room of the Petit TrianonLiving room of the Petit Trianon
Living room of the Petit Trianon

Very cool piano (or is it a harpsichord?)!


28th February 2011

palaces
Marvellous thing to be able to knock up an extra palace at the other end of your estate... (let me see, that would be the pool-pump-shed at our place). I am surprised that you are finding time to blog at all with all of the visiting and experiencing and soaking up the atmosphere you are doing ;-) ! Hope you had a marvellous birthday, John - I'm sure it will be one of your most memorable!

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb