Romantic weekend in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 5th 2005
Published: April 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After being in England for a couple of months we decided to take advantage of the cheap travel deals and booked our first mini break. We left Waterloo on the Eurostar at 7 am on Saturday morning and found ourselves in the centre of Paris only 3 hours later. Magnifique!

Heres our take on the major sights in Paris:

Arc de Triumphe - the crazy roundabout where the land of insurance companies is left behind for 'French combat driving'. Sure theres a big statue in the middle, but standing watching the cars hoping for a bingle is the real draw card.

You have to go to the Louvre, and for good reason - it blows your mind. Enough said.

We attempted to see the Notre Dame cathedral, but it requires hours of lining up so we opted instead for a warm crepe and a stroll around the Ile De La City (beautiful little island in the city)

A major drawcard of Paris is the city itself, it's small enough to spend a day just strolling around browsing shops, streets and people. Something I would highly recommend to any visitor.

And the last of the major drawcards is the Eiffel tower at night. During the day it's just a big hunk of metal but at night it magically transforms into a fairytale sight that is well worth the trip. Look out for the street sellers with their merchandise on little rugs that they instantly scoop up and run away when the police come ... with what seems like a nightly game of cat and mouse.

The french have a reputation for great food, and we can assure you they deserve it. France is for adults what a candy shop is for kids: baguettes, crepes and really rich sauces with your meal, mmmmm.

On Monday morning we woke up bright and early to catch the Eurostar back to London. Dave managed to get into work almost on time and Nic walked home to find her bed! Oh the life of a student!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th April 2006

Manifique
Just a few months late, but great stuff.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb