A Day in Paree...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 14th 2010
Published: July 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Big Fat European Adventure


Did not sleep well! Noise from a shop across the road kept me awake all bloody night! Leave the hostel bright and early at 8:30 to start exploring. Take a stroll down to the Jardin Des Plantes which is extremely beautiful. The gardens are so well kept and surrounded by paths that go on for miles with overhanging trees all around. After this we take a stroll along the river seine. Its remarkable how many people live on barges! Each one is so unique and beautiful, i can see why so many Parisians would choose to.

Pretty soon the Cathedral De Notre Dame comes into view. It is quite an ominous sight, with its huge spire and creepy gargoyles. Its on an island on the midde of the seine which has loads of padlocks bolted across the bridge. Sadly never got to discover why. Once inside the cathedral its pretty breathtaking, it seems to go on forever like those big dwarf caves in the first lord of the rings film! The cathedral itself is very awe inspiring, but it is also extremely commercialized. There was a gift shop within the church and you had to pay to light a candle and to go into certain parts of it. It didnt sit well with me that a place for religious worship should be used for anything but that.

Afterward, we bought a well deserved ice cold slush and sat in one of the nearby gardens to enjoy it. A gypsy girl came over to us and held up a postcard which said "My sister has leukemia and my Dad is dead. Give me money." I apologized and told her I had no money on me. She said that's ok ill have your drink then. Before you judge me you have to understand i had been walking for about 4 miles, i was thirsty and desperately wanted the slush! She walked off in a huff when I wouldn't give it to her but hey ho.

Just as we arrived at the Louvre the heavens opened and it was raining cats and dogs. Who would have thought i would be running across the cobbled stoned courtyard of the Louvre with my dress flying up practically over my head and my flip flops flying off! A very Bridget Jones moment. When the rain stopped there was just enough time to see a plane display over Paris which was quite amazing. And then it poured it down again. So we ran for shelter. Again.

After finally entering the Louvre (It was free today as its a pubic holiday, woohoo!) the most obvious thing we headed for was the Mona Lisa. They stick her right at the other end of the museum, you have to have mega will power to find her. Its quite disappointing when yuo finally see her. I imagined it would feel like I was in The Da Vinci Code, but sadly not the case. The crowd was so huge that i had to literally be on tip toes and crane my neck just to get a glimpse of her. The rest of the paintings were really cool to see, and the Greek and ancient artifacts were amazing too.

Then we headed for the red windmill in Montmartre AKA the Moulin Rouge! If it wasn't completely pissing it down i would have enjoyed it a lot more. But looking and feeling like a drowned rat really takes it out of you. However, we did have a great laugh looking in all the sex shop windows. Chair with a protruding tongue do it for anyone?

In the evening we headed for The Eiffel Tower which is really ugly and mechanical close up! But enjoyed a hot-dog in the park underneath to chill out and reflect on the first few days.

On to Begium tomorrow!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb