Paris - Day Two via the Batobus


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to have breakfast today on the Champs Elysees at Brioche Doree. We shared a maxi croissant chocolats and a briochette chocolate. After we finished and we started walking further down Champs Elysees we found a Starbucks and we each got another coffee. We really needed the supersized version as the cafe we get are small and we needed the caffeine this morning! We walked to the Grand Palais and the Petis Palais and admired the architecture. We walked across the Pont Alexendre II towards the Esplanade Des Invalides, Hotel Des Invalides and the Musee De L'Armee but decided instead to turn back and find the Batobus, a bus on the water that would take us to several different stops. On the way to the Batobus we met our first gypsy, who pretended to find a gold wedding band. In exchange for trading the wedding band he asked for money. I almost fell for his trick until he began begging. This was the first of three gypsies that tried this trick on us, each at a popular landmark. We rode the Batobus past the Tour Eiffel and to the Musee d'Orsay where we got off. This is my favorite Paris museum as it hows such a large collection of the Impressionists - Renoir, Degas, Monet, Manet and of course, Van Gogh. We rented the hand held speaker guide which made understanding the artwork so much easier. Just push the number of the painting you want more information on and you are given a full description. We stopped for lunch at the Cafe Des Hauteurs where I had a cheese quiche and salade (arugula) and Michael had tartine paysanne, a baked open faced ham and cheese sandwich with frisee and a mustard vinaigrette. We each had a glass of Chatex Aix Rose. We finished walking through the museum and took the Batobus to our next stop, St. Germain Des Pres, the oldest church in Paris dating back to the 11th century on the Left Bank. We walked through the narrow streets, past cafes and art galleries, antique and restoration shops as we returned again to the Batobus. This time we rode to Notre Dame. where we had a beautiful view of the Gothic architecture and the famous flying buttresses. The stained glass windows are magnificent and are in view from every angle. After walking through the cathedral we walked around the Ile de la Cite towards Ile-St. Louis where we found the famous glaces by Berthilion who were actually closed for the summer but the Salon de The across the street from them sold their ice cream. I had cassis and limon and Michael had chocolats and moka. We hopped back on the Batobus past the Jardin des Plantes (zoo and park), past the Hotel-de-Ville and timed it perfectly to visit the Right bank and the Louvre for their discounted evening admission which begins at 6 pm. It wasn't very crowded as we entered through the escalator that takes you through the glass pyramid to the marble underground foyer. There are three wings here, the Richelieu, Sully and Denon. We focused on the Denon wing headed straight towards the Mona Lisa. On the way there we passed the Winged Victory of Samothrace, sculpted in 190BC and re-assembled from 300 pieces found in 1863. The line for the Mona Lisa was small and we quickly were able to see the famous painting and even take pictures. We walked throughout the Denon area seeing the French paintings and some of the crown jewels and Roman statues. When we finished we took the Batobus back to our final destination, the Tour Eiffel so we could see it light up the Paris sky. We walked towards the Palais de Chaillot and found a spot in the Jardins du Trocadero to watch them turn on the lights. There were people all around us, even in the light rain having picnics watching the spectacular view. We took the Metro at the Trocadero back to Etoile and found a cute little Cafe - Brasserie, La Mascotte o rue du Fauboug Saint-Honore for dinner. We were the only English speaking diners. We shared a Bouteille de vin and I had poreaux vinaigrette, warm leek salad in french dressing and Cotes D'Agneau (lamb chops and green beans). Michael had Foie Gras de Canard (again!) and Filet de Boeuf (steak with a peppercorn sauce and pommes frites). It was a very short walk back to the hotel where again we collapsed in bed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb