PARIS: 2009-08-20, Arrival


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 20th 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

View from room 56View from room 56View from room 56

The view from my room at the Duquesne Hotel Eiffe
I took the 10pm flight from IAD on the Air France - Delta flight. I like leaving later because you normally don't have as long to wait for your hotel room on the other end. I had bought my ticket on Orbitz and was able to confirm my seat assignments online beforehand. Renee dropped me off at IAD and I had to wait almost an hour to check in at the Air France desk. Once I finally got up to the counter I was told that I had a seat but would have to get my seat assignment at the gate. I showed them my sheet showing my seat assignment was confirmed. They explained to me that a new policy started not too long ago that rows 39-42 were for unaccompanied minors and that Orbitz...CheapTickets and companies of the like were unaware of the policy. I had been looking forward to my window seat so I could lean up against the wall and sleep. So bummer...I got an aisle seat in the 5th row from the end of the plane. It was an aisle middle..the seat setup on this 777 was 3,3,3...the middle seat of the center section was in operable so that was a bonus. A woman with a brand new baby was 2 seats away from me on the other aisle seat of the center section. And when I say new born baby it had to be a week or so...it still cooed when it cried. It seemed a majority of the passengers, at least around me, were native french speakers.

It was a good flight overall. I think the best flight & service I've had on an overnight flight. There were plenty of attendents. They did have a dinner service...I didn't think they would...but I got a yummy chicken with green curry and rice and a chocolate cake for dessert. Air France also has a video display on each seat back with a variety of things to choose from. I played solitaire for awhile and then during dinner I switched over to TV series options. I watched 2 Desperate Housewives episodes. By that point dinner service was over and the lights were turned out. I dozed on and off...maybe slept 2 hours. And I must have gotten chocolate cake crumbs on my shirt during dinner and didn't realize it until I stood up the next morning. I had my arms over my chest and I made the crumbs melt onto my shirt...NICE! I woke up because they turned the lights on and "WAKE UP" it's breakfast time. It seemed like we just finished eating dinner, oh wait...we did just finish eating dinner a few hours ago! It always cracks me up how they try and acclimate you or at least try to acclimate you to the new time zone - by serving breakfast of course!

We arrived on time if not a little early...I believe it was 7.5 hour flight and we were definately on the ground by 11:30am local time. I lost my jacket...I either accidentally left it on the plane or the woman with the baby and all her baby bags accicentally packed my jacket up into her stuff. I'm going to check with the Air France desk on Friday when I head back to the States. This trip I actually went through customs/immigration and got a stamp in my passport. My last trip in 2005...we got off the plane, grabbed our bags and walked right out. I think they were doing construction on CDG and it was early in the morning too. CDG was much nicer than I last remembered it. Seems to be alot of new areas. After immigration, my next priority was potty time. I didn't got at all on the plane but after moving around, I really had to go! Luggage took a little while but not too long...I saw my sour apple duffle come out and it and I wheeled ourselves out to the taxi stand. My taxi car was a Prius...Renee would be so pleased about that! 30 minutes later we were at the hotel. (hotel Duquesne Eiffel) It was a 40 euro charge and I gave him 45 euros total. My room was already ready when I arrived! I believe it was 1pm at least by that time. They gave me one of their best rooms...top floor...room 56 named the Champs D'Elysee room. WHAT A VIEW! It brough a smile to my tired face immediately. I wanted to send a message home to let everyone know that I arrived safe and sound. I tried getting internet connection in my room and I even tried using the cat 5 cable I brought and get a wired connection. No luck. I went down to the lobby and asked about connectivity...they said they have an internet station for guest use and they also have a wireless network available only in the lobby. She gave me the network code to log into it. I went back up to the room and grabbed my laptop and went into the lobby. I had taken 2 photos of the view from my view and attached them to the email I sent where I let them know I was okay. I also updated my facebook status to say "the eagle has landed" and included the photos there as well. I asked Patty to call Mom and Nancy Bollini to let the people at work know I was okay. I asked Renee to give XO to RG and NtP. Next it was nap time. Since I didn't get too much sleep on the plane...I took a 2 hour nap and fell asleep looking at the Eiffel Tower. After waking up, I relaxed for a little bit and washed up and changed my clothes.

I left the hotel and started roaming around the neighborhood. Invalides is only 1 block to the right of me and L'Ecole Militaire is across the street. I walked up Duquesne to L'Ecole Militaire - saw many cafes and many people having a drink and watching all the people that went by. Saw alot of people in camo gear...I guess they were students because they didn't have any guns. I kept walked towards the Eiffel Tower and found a cafe to eat at on the corner of the Place du General Gounard. I had a salade poulet...tasty! lettuce, eggs, tomato, roasted chicken breast and some cheese and of course a basket of bread. Great bread! I forgot how great the bread is here!. I was sitting there for a long time. I also forgot how relaxed and laid back the french are... dinner at a cafe is never quick! I was sitting there when the Eiffel Tower lit up for the first time of the night (9pm). The waiters here will never push you and you will actually have to ask for your check. IT was getting pretty dark by then...I needed to head back to the hotel. I walked by the 5-6 blocks and didn't feel fearful at all during the walk home. I got to the hotel and my key works for the room but the door wouldn't open. I ran back down to the lobby and asked for help...the desk attendent ran up the stairs and helped me get in. I setup the tripod and took photos of the Eiffel Tower in the dark from my room. TOTALLY AWESOME! I took some photos in RAW as well. I got changed for bed and took my nightly pills plua a melatonin pill to help me get back on a "normal" sleep cycle for here. I think I finally want to sleep about 11pm. Great first day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb