Palace of Versailles - the virtual tour.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 10th 2009
Published: July 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to spend our last day in Paris visiting the over-the-top grand palace at Versailles, in the outskirts of Paris. We decided to go late, after the bus-tour-group-masses had left for the day. Around 16:00 at the St. Michele metro/RER stop we got train tickets to Versailles, for the 1/2 hour trip. We asked a station helper which train we should take. She said the next train arriving on that track. When the next train arrived, we asked another Station helper if this train went to Versailles. She confirmed what the first helper had said, and assured us it went to Versaille.

Silly us. We got on that train. In Germany you can usually ask one helper, and trust their answer. In France, we'd learnt to ask 3 different people, and only believe the answer if all of them gave the same answer. We'd only asked 2 people.

To make a long story short, the supposed 1/2 hour trip became 1 1/2 hours and we ended up in the Northern outskirts of Paris, requiring another 1 1/2 hours to reach Versailles from there. Needless to say, it was now too late to get to Versailles and back in time for an early start to the Rhein valley the next day. We got back to our hotel room and looked at some pictures of Versailles. We should have just Google Earthed it and been happy with that.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb