Arc de Triumph, Napolean Edition


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 5th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Climbed the 284 steps to the top of the Arc de Triumph. The new and improved Arc de Triumph was built by Napolean to display his troops before they visited most of Europe. Poor Moscow. First Napolean then Hitler.

There are two Arc de Triumphs in Paris. The smaller Roman looking one near the Louvre and the larger one built by the Moscow raiding Napoleon. We visited the larger one and climbed the 284 steps to the top just before sunset. There are 12 streets that meet and use the Arc as a roundabout. The surprising thing is there are no lane markings in that giant roundabout. How drivers figure out where they are, where they should be and and which exit they take is something we didn't quite figure out while watching. It's a good thing we weren't driving in Paris.

Napoleon built his edition of the Arc de Triumph to march his victorious troops in parades. Invading armies have used the same backdrop to demo their version of victorious marching troops. Would Napoleon have had second thoughts about building such a grand edifice if he knew France's enemies would use it for the same symbolism? Then again, would a post revolutionary dictator care?



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb