Night Rider


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 28th 2009
Published: May 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After the success if the London Bike Tour we decided to take the Paris night ride.
Equally as good, but felt somewhat more vulnerable riding across Parisina intersections and along footpaths amongst somewhat disgruntled pedestrians.
I think I would be grumpy if Americans took loads of tourists around Wellington holding up traffic and blocking the footpath while shouting out a very compressed history of my much loved monuments and cultural icons. ( which are????)
I notice that none of these guides seem able to answer many questions, instead they have a well practiced patter that their fellow Americans find very funny and "cute" but fellow antipodeans didn't seem to find nearly so amusing.
Humour is quite a cultural specific matter, though perhaps slapstick is universal?

The bike ride included a stop for icecreams and a boat trip on the Seine. We should have taken the day trip on day one to orientate ourselves.


I do recommend these bike tours and think they should be taken at the start of any holiday. James, T and S were all delighted with them, sp obviously suitable for all ages, and I think good value for money, and preferable to the buses and walking tours offered in many cities. You also feel slightly virtuous that you have done some exercise.
Our ride was late starting and didn't finish until after midnight, so thank goodness we had a rest in the afternoon.

We have wandered around the Canal St Martin district this morning, no metro required, lunch in a park and home for a rest. We will spend our last night at the very first restaurant we went the day we arrived as it has been the best so far and is just down the road. Young, hip and reasonable. T and S noticed that last night as we walked home it seemd to have transformed into a nightclub so I suspect James and I will walk home and that will stay to enjoy their last night in Paris, without the aged one and junior to hinder their fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



5th June 2009

Ah Paris! Drool
You folk are obviously having a good time. 'twill be over all too soon. Your comment about humour having a cultural bias is so true. Dont' imagine Billy T. James would go down all that well in Paris. Hugs

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb