Paris le toiseium part


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 30th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Me at the ArcMe at the ArcMe at the Arc

Okay so this is cleche... you just have to sometimes.
I am beating Kenneth to the punch today. We are back from our day out before we go to dinner so I am capatilizing on the opportunity.

We were all late risers this morning, so we didn't stumble into the streets of Paris until almost 1 PM, tres parisienne of us. 😊 We had coffee at our, notice the term, cafe, and then journeyed by metro to the Arc de Triumph. The question of the day, what would they have built if they lost, would it have been the Arc du desole? Our "do you speak English" women were there, but they didn't ask us, we believe that there may be a network on which our photos are posted with an admonishment to not ask us if we speak English.

Our weather luck has failed today and we had the cold rain that we have been fearing. As we strolled the Champs Elysees, we froze. Funny that all of the Americanization of Paris is concentrated on this one famous boulevard. We went from having seen only one McDonalds (THANK GOODNESS) to seeing two plus many other atrocities, like a Disney Store. MAKE IT STOP.

We strolled all the
Wacky French ArchitectsWacky French ArchitectsWacky French Architects

It never ceases to amaze me what architects will do to attract attention to our art. I guess in a city like Paris you just have to go way over the top to differentate yourself from the rest.
way to the Place de Concorde, where I found it odd to have the obelisk with a huge ferris wheel as it's backdrop. About this point the rain became unbearable, so we bailed, made a failed attempt at shopping at Bon Marche (it was closed) with a recovery on the Isle St. Louis, coffee and nibbles in a wonderful cafe.

I think what I am reminded of must here in Paris is how life can be taken at a pace that is civilized. Here the daily routine doesn't smother, it edifies, and enriches. Sure this is the perspective of a tourist, but it seems that the Parisiennes have this same perspective. What a joy it is to be where the only urgency is the urgency that you create yourself.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Notre DameNotre Dame
Notre Dame

How romantic is this shot? Someday I might even have someone to share this with in person.


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb