Paris, Sept 3 and 4


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 8th 2008
Published: September 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Montreux view from lakeside hotelMontreux view from lakeside hotelMontreux view from lakeside hotel

There's a lovely walk along the lake with lots of flowers and interesting sculptures -- and the lake is beautiful.
Day 11 and 12 - On to Paris, Sept. 3, 4

Left Montreux (very pretty town) for short bus ride to Lausanne to catch the train to Paris - first class cabin, comfy seats with table. Very smooth 4-hour trip through the French countryside, while our bags went on to Paris on the bus. Lots of cows, many small towns, rolling hills and pastures. Snacks, drinks and sandwiches available on the train, and a WC. I bought a chocolate milk and a beer at the train station before boarding, to use up some Swiss francs, and consumed them on the train, with pretzels and a tuna/cracker snack that I had brought along. Some people snoozed along the way.

Arrived at the Gare Lyon about 1-ish - very busy station, lots of trains, and lots and lots of people (and many dogs). Marieke led us around to find our bus (we had been warned to use the WC when getting close to Paris). We had a driving orientation tour of many of the main sights with a local guide, then an hour or so at the Eiffel Tower, with tickets to the 2nd floor.

Again, good weather, relatively clear.
The Eiffel Tower at nightThe Eiffel Tower at nightThe Eiffel Tower at night

Part of the lighting effect nearing 10 p.m. in Sept. 2008
Took several pictures then discovered that the lens cover was not opening properly - fortunately was able to retake most of the same shots and then remember to keep checking the camera for proper operation (note: always take a back-up and check to make sure all is working properly). Pay toilets again - may have been E2 -- or at least E1,00 - charges are different, and once in a while, they're free. Somewhere along the line it was E2 - exorbitant, but what can you do, eh? Sometimes it seems to be optional what you put in the dish (sometimes a machine, sometimes a person). Post office is on the first floor, and I had thought it was the 2nd, so I missed it. One of our group paid extra and went up to the top, which he said was great - just seems like it was further away. On the 2nd floor it was hard to recognize much - a huge sea of white/beige apartment buildings, and a few taller office buildings. I could tell where Sacre Couer was, but didn't pick out the Arc de Triomphe.

We had about an hour, then loaded up again to
VersaillesVersaillesVersailles

The Asheville tourist in the Hall of Mirrors
go to hotel - not impressed with it, altho I guess my room is okay - a few things went wrong, but hey, it's travel, and something will go wrong.

In the evening, most of us went to the Dinner and Illumination optional. Dinner not so good, in small restaurant, rather tight quarters. I chose the lamb, which was a mistake - others thought their food was okay. We did have a view across the street and river to Notre Dame, so got some outside photos of that. We drove back to the Eiffel Tower in time for the 10 p.m. light show, which was magnificent. It has blue lights all over it now, with 13 big gold stars for the EU, and then at 10 it does a sparkling sequence - very pretty and fun, more than made up for the salty shoe leather meat at dinner. We actually got to get out of the bus to take photos.

Thursday was our big day “at leisure” in Paris, with possible optionals to Versailles and the Louvre. I went to Versailles, and not the Louvre. Needed more time in Versailles, but we saw most of the open rooms,
Le Penseur et la Tour EiffelLe Penseur et la Tour EiffelLe Penseur et la Tour Eiffel

There's a great view in the garden of the Rodin museum (his former home) with a large "The Thinker" and the Eiffel Tower visible in the distance.
and had a little time in the gardens (not enough) and a bit in the shop. It is HUGE, and incredible. Magnificent - I was a little surprised at the Hall of Mirrors - the mirrors are all along one side, with the windows on the other - so no multiple reflections, but it's nice and light. Marvelous chandeliers. Wonderful paintings and statuary - not enough superlatives to describe it - Not much furniture, just some in a couple of the main bedrooms. Very interesting historical stories. Beautiful flowers in the gardens - an interesting mix of very manicured, and a varied mix of flowers. It was wonderful to be allowed to take pictures inside.

In the afternoon, I struck out on my own and went to the Place de la Concorde to see the Egyptian Obelisk up close, and then walked to the Musee de Rodin to see Le Penseur and dozens more Rodin Sculptures - it's a great museum (and minute compared to others here that I didn't get to see). Beautiful garden, with cafe, etc. -- wonderful roses in September. Sculptures inside and out -- many more tha nI was expecting. (Had a chocolate chocolate eclair along the way, yummy). Walked back across the “beautiful bridge” past the Grand Palais and Petit Palais - wonderful statues and architecture everywhere. Back through the Jardins Tuileries. There's a handy WC (RR) at the entry to the Tuileries gardens at the Place de la Concorde entrance.

On the walk from the Tuileries to the Musee Rodin, was approached by a lady doing the "finding a gold ring thing in hopes of picking my pocket" - got away quickly and ran into another one also. Don't talk to people who pretend they've found something and try to ask if it's yours - don't even look at it. I don't wear any rings, so it's easy for me not to do the reflex action of stopping to look. So I was able to be amused and watch them a bit; they're pretty skillful, but I didn't see them sucker anyone in.

Then there's the long story of the annoying wait for the bus, because one tour person got lost from the Louvre, and then we had a problem finding dinner. But, it seems like everywhere you look in Paris, there's something eye-popping to see.

Spectacular trip, with annoying ending. Too bad to have this part end up on a low note - since so much of it was wonderful - really good weather and amazing sightseeing. Minor problems should not discourage anyone from this trip (just be prepared that something will go wrong and stay flexible).

Doing laundry's a bit difficult - so far doing it the first day of a two-night and hanging it on hangers kind of works - close to dry by packing time. I'm glad we have had some 2-night stays for many reasons.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb