Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 15th 2008
Published: August 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

 Bike rentals all over Paris Bike rentals all over Paris Bike rentals all over Paris

you put money in a meter, take the bike and return it another place.
August 13, 2008

After spending the evening around the Eifel Tower in Paris we make our way back to the hotel via the subway system. I must say Vancouver can learn a lot about how to move people underground in a very fast way, and cheap. Today we have a leisure morning then head to the Eifel Tower and where ever our feet take us. Pete and I climb to the first floor, the kids the second, as the very top is closed as it is extremely windy today in Paris. The kids are in awe about how big this structure is and how quickly it was put together, just a little over 2 years. Every 7 years the structure is painted using ? tones of paint. Paris also has a water bus system that you can hop on and hop off for a day ticket. From the batobus you can see the Louvre, the Eifel Tower, the Musee d’Orsay, Notre Dame and just the sights of the city. We continue on, shopping and heading towards Sacre Couer, the highest church and view of the city of Paris. At the bottom of the hill, you must either take the stairs or take the funicular, we opt for the stairs as the line up is too long. Once at the top you can see the sights 360 degrees. One could just sit in any part of Paris and just watch the people alone as they are so fascinating.

August 14, 2008

The Louvre is on the agenda along with walking part of the Champs de Elysee. The Louvre is so very large and no way can you see it in just one day. We pick a couple of areas to see and still we are there for a couple of hours. The Mona Lisa of course is at the top and there are a lot of people around it. We wander through some more painters, Vincent Van Gogh, Raphael and others. Garrett wants to see the Egyptian antiquities. Some are more than 4000 years old, and the detail on some of the artifacts is just amazing, even down to the last little detail on a toe or necklace. From there we head off to the Venus de Milo, and then through the Greek area. Once back outside we wander through the gardens where the travelling salesmen have set up there wares trying to get you to buy them. Some souvenirs are good deals like the Eifel tower keys chains 11 for 3 euros. On the outside of the gardens is a little fair, with carousel and of course the famous ferris wheel. From these gardens one can see the Arc de Triumph in the distance, we come closer but still not right too it as it is just too far away. We decide on a late lunch our last in Paris. Garrett has steak tartare and does well on eating it. The rest of us have “big” salads and escargot. It is all very good and tasty just expensive as eating out in Europe seems to be.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The BeachThe Beach
The Beach

No lakes or beaches around Paris so along the River Seine they make these areas.


Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb