Why it is difficult to get a cab in Paris at 2.30am...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 11th 2007
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

With Tamira contemplating leaving just after Christmas, it was a question of could we possibly squish everything to see in Paris, into a weekend? Well, we were going to try our damdest...

We flew into Charles de Gaulle airport at 11pm and then had to pay an exorbitant 80EUR cab ride into our hotel in the centre of Paris. The following day was filled with much walking (Tamira in thongs in the freezing cold) whinging (at the amounts of tourists and long lines), photo-taking, shopping and drinking. We took in the typical sights of the Eiffel Tower, Champs-Élysées, The Louvre, Notre Dame etc etc.

Highlight: trying to find a cab at 2:30am on the Champs-Élysées after much drinking, eating of snails and an entertaining (maybe not for me who slept through most of it) naked cabaret revue at the Lido. During which Tamira excused herself for a smoke break and walked straight into a glass door. Needless to say there were many sore heads come Sunday morning.

Sunday saw us taking a trip up to Monmartre, the arty farty very 'parisian' area of Paris. Think bistros, coffee houses, wine bars, pattisieries, and many artists selling their wares.

Come nightfall and we had to head to the airport to fly back to London. Well, our shuttle didn't show up to the hotel so we shared an expensive cab-ride with some strapping young Italian men, who turned out to be a world famous boxer (The Italian Stallion - no, I am not kidding) and his promoter. Very nice guys, who footed our cab bill (just as well as we had no cash left).

A comedy of errors all the way, but a highly entertaining weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb