Musee Marmottan


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 19th 2005
Published: October 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Friends BlurFriends BlurFriends Blur

Nightime at Place de la Bastille.
I decided to head out to my favorite museum in Paris, while J took care of business. The Musee Marmottan houses a collection of Monet’s works donated by his family as well as other Impressionist paintings. It is located on the West end of town, several blocks walk from the Metro through a lovely park. The museum is in what looks to be an old mansion with 3 levels and various odd shaped rooms complete with creaky wood floors. I just love the ambiance of it and the way the light shines in the windows. It was here 3 years ago that I discovered my favorite painting of all time - Cloudless Morning at Quimperle by Henri Le Sidaner. Upon my return, I searched for it with great zeal. To my dismay, although part of the permanent collection, it had been taken down to make way for a temporary exhibition! Quelle horreur!

That evening we met up with 2 of my dearest friends from GM days who happen to live in Paris. It was great to see them, to catch up on their lives, and to relive old times while enjoying a fabulous meal!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Les InvalidesLes Invalides
Les Invalides

Napoleon's tomb. Picture from the interior is on our other post from last trip.
Place des Vosges InteriorPlace des Vosges Interior
Place des Vosges Interior

Victor Hugo lived in one of these apartments.
Place des Vosges DetailPlace des Vosges Detail
Place des Vosges Detail

The US needs more gargoyles. The Chrysler building has them and it's one cool customer!


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb