Scandal in Paris - Aussies Ejected from Sacre Cour!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 29th 2005
Published: September 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sacre CourSacre CourSacre Cour

Before the scandal!
27/9/05 Tuesday - I now have the grand distinction of having succeeded in having my Uncle and myself ejected from the Basilique du Sacre Cour! I am sure this is a world first, which I am very proud of. We went to Montmartre and took a browse through some shops, then a coffee below Sacre Cour.

Lorenza decided to look at more shops, while Uncle Robert and I took a look at Sacre Cour. There was a Mass in progress and very obvious signs indicating that photos were not permitted. I discreetly took the cap off the lens of my camera and snapped off a pic, but alas the security folks are very vigilant and they spotted the movement of my zoom lens from many metres away. So, the security guard obviously did not recognise Uncle Robert and indicated that we should leave immediately. In true Christian fashion, we decided not to cause a stir and gave in to his demand without protest (plus, he was far too solid a guy to bother arguing with anyway).

Luckily, Uncle Robert has seen Sacre Cour before, but I doubt I will live this down for sometime to come!

Uncle Robert
Sacre Cour 2Sacre Cour 2Sacre Cour 2

The photo that caused the incident
and I waited for Lorenza near the stairs to Sacre Cour. We watched a group of African guys selling plaited cloth bracelets. They approached unsuspecting tourists with a broad smile and said “can I show you something special, hold out your hand”. Once you offered your hand they then looped a small coloured thread over your finger and began to plait a bracelet. They then removed it from your finger and quickly slipped it on your wrist, tied it on and cut the loose end off. Once cut it was made measure on your wrist and you had no chance of removing it unless you coughed up some cash.

Uncle Robert and I managed to avoid the trap a number of times. That was until Lorenza arrived and she stopped to look for us. I rushed over to grab her before the African guys did, but I was a fraction too slow and they had the thread on her finger. We are now both the proud owners of plaited cloth bracelets!


We met up with Lorenza’s father today at Gare du Nord. We collected him from his train from Amsterdam and escorted him to his hotel in the 17th arrondissement. The owner of the hotel was very confused and thought that all four of us were trying to stay in the one double room. My wonderful French skills eventually convinced him that it was only Pa that was staying and we were just the welcoming party. The owner took a lot of convincing, but he eventually got the right idea.

While the others took a look at the room, I continued my conversation with the hotel owner. He introduced himself as Pierre and then when I asked “how many people can you fit in here” (meaning the hotel), he thought I had said “Do you come from Brittany” and he was very surprised because he did! He then showed me on a map the village he grew up in. This was very nice of him, but it obviously did not answer my question. I must admit, the ensuing conversation about Brittany was much more interesting then the size of the hotel.

Two amazing things about Paris are …..

Number 1 - the pedestrian crossings and the car parking techniques on the street. I am sure that the crossings are only painted on the road to make pedestrians a much clearer target for the drivers. Unlike Australia, you can never be safe in the knowledge that the approaching cars will stop, or even slow down. In fact, the moment they see you approach the crossing they hit the accelerator and take aim. I wonder has anyone kept any statistics on how many tourists in Paris are killed on their first day in the city on a pedestrian crossing.

Number 2 - the car parking technique is bazaar to me. There is absolutely no regard for other vehicles; they simply find a vacant space which I would think it impossible to fit into. Then they bump and scrape their way into the space, pushing the car in front and behind to make enough room for themselves. I noticed many of the cars were parked with the handbrake left off, which is obviously to limit the damage. This is very entertaining to watch while sitting at a café. One of the most lucrative professions in Paris must be car panel repair shops.

Lorenza’s father watched the guy park the car which is featured in the photo. He bumped the vehicle in front and behind at least five times each before he was able to fit very snugly into his chosen space. Who would want to own an expensive car in Paris?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb