Sightseeing


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 7th 2007
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ahh, the joys of sleeping in. No more 6:00am wake up calls - at least not till Beijing! We finally crawled out of bed at nine, and made our way to the metro, and on to Montmartre - after about three changeovers, we were there.

This might sound difficult, but I’ve actually found the subway fairly easy to use…even though there are over 200 stations. I guess after conquering the NY subway, anything is possible.

Montmartre is a suburb in France, that houses the Basilique Du Sacre Coeur, perched at the top of the hill. From here, you get great views over Paris (except of the Eiffel Tower, which we couldn’t find?) It’s a pity that there were tonnes of hawkers trying to flog off pieces of crappy junk, including plaited wool bracelets - even Chelle didn’t want one of those!

After walking all the way back down the hill, we had a stroll of the red light area, at 11am - a bit too early to see anything of interest. We would be coming back that night for the Moulin Rouge - but wouldn’t be able to look around as we were booked on a shuttle. We did go into a couple of the shops, but it was pretty boring.

With the afternoon free, we hit the Les Halles area for some shopping, and Chelle managed to find a pair of shoes - great! Another thing to send home. We are offloading some luggage before China, which includes about 4 pairs by now.

At 3pm it was definitely time to head back for an afternoon snooze, a luxury you just don’t get on tour. We are also both feeling as though we are getting sick - about time, considering the whole bus came down with the flu, bar 8 people (us included).

We JUST made the Moulin Rouge pick-up, and were seated and eating our three course meal by 7:30pm. The guy at the hotel had advised us to eat there, as you get better seats - and the place is packed. It doesn’t look like much from the front, but they squeeze in a several hundred people.

I had to try the escargot for the entrée - it was delicious. They are similar to prawns - with the flesh, and a bit like mushrooms when it comes to the texture. In the garlic sauce, they are very nice - even Chelle tried one.

After our meal, the show was on, and it was by far the best cabaret we’ve seen on tour (our fourth). The costumes and sets are extravagant and the girls were gorgeous. I’ve definitely seen my fare share of bare boobs on this trip!

The show finished with the famous can-can, and a futuristic number. We grabbed the DVD then escaped back to the bus, and our drop off home. Our hotel has been great - the location is awesome, plus they have free wifi and the room is a good size. Our last night in Paris was definitely one to remember.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb