Day 1-3


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 17th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After 24 hours of travel I finally stepped out of the airport and headed into Paris by train. It was hot and I was in desperate need of a shower and change of clothes. The hotel, Prima Lepic, was perched up on the hill of Rue Lepic in Mont Martre, the artist quater of paris. 100 metres down the road is the world famous Moulin Rouge.

Once freshened up and armed with my camera it was time to set out with the boys (Shaun, Ev and Finno) and check out the area. Atop Mont Martre is the Sacrè Coer, a church,and from there you can see across Paris. We wandered for a while before returning to the hotel for the night.

With a full nights rest behind us it was time to make our way into Paris for a day of sight seeing. First stop Notre Dame, one thing you learn in Europe is there can never be enough churches. Notre Dame was pretty cool, there was a service in progress which was interesting to see. Lots of stained glass and statues.

We then headed over to the Louvre to cool the feet in the fountain, they were starting to hurt and blister with all the walking. Hint: Chuck Taylors are not made for walking long distances in. We then trekked up the Champs Èlysèes to the Arc De Triomphe, that is one big crazy roundabout and I'm glad we didn't have to drive around it. Ev and I made the hike up 284 tight, narrow, winding stairs to the top. Another good view.

It was then back to the Louvre for a look around. The Mona Lisa was not as small as it had been made out to be and was good to see first hand. Definently a must when in Paris. As you can imagine the art all became very boring after awhile so it was time to head back for a few brews.

Thursday was a last day in Paris and as they say "save the best till last" so it was off to the Eiffel Tower. First we went to the catacombes, a network of tunnels under Paris and a mass grave. It's hard to imagine walking through tunnels with walls made of human bones and skulls but it was a great experience. Once our date with the dead was done it was time for the Eiffel Tower and its 600+ stairs, I'm so unfit it's not funny.

The view from the top was spectacular and Paris is one massive place. We indulged in the view before heading down to the 1st floor for a well earned and much needed beer.

Our time in Paris was up but the journey had only just begun.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Moulin RougeMoulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge

In the heart of Mont Martre
CatacombsCatacombs
Catacombs

Walls made of bones and skulls.
Arc De TriompheArc De Triomphe
Arc De Triomphe

On one of the craziest round abouts ever!


27th July 2007

Eiffel Tower
And bread stick war????

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb