Versailles, Notre Dame, Paris day 2


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 19th 2007
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So now I have a cold 😞. I suppose it is inevitable when you put your body through this type of stress, so live and learn. It's not bad though, I just have to deal with sniffles and boogers for the next 3 days.

This morning we went to Versailles and saw the castle and royal gardens. They are HUGE!. Bob had to take care of a few administrative items for Anna's tour group, so we ended up gaining free entry into the grounds through all the confusion. And I got my first taste of an angry Frenchman. Bob was trying to reserve audioguides for the tour with a woman working at the desk, and her manager rudely stepped in and began explaining how it wouldn't be possible to reserve them in advance. The argument went on, but it was funny to see in retrospect.

After this, we returned to Paris and went to Notre Dame. The cathedral was very pretty, and the stained glass work was amazing.

Then, I ate a cheese, mushroom, tomato, and onion crepe - which was good, but not as good as the Nutella crepe from the day before.

Afterwards we went around the city a little more, and ended up at the Opera. Then our adventure began:

We saw two men wearing capes...so we decided to see what the situation at the Opera was. There was obviously some very large, important, and posh function occuring, since people in tuxedos and expensive dresses continued to stream in for the next hour. We sat on the steps watching them for a good 45 minutes, making sure to comment on every person of significance - and taking special note of large cup sizes, and very "French" looking people.

Once we were bored with this, we walked away, and had another mini-adventure. A woman approached us and was panicking and was afraid that she was being followed by a man down the street. She asked us if we would stand with her for a minute until he left, so we obliged. When he left, she thanked us, and we asked her where she was going. It turned out that she was going to the same stop as us, so we asked her if she wanted to come with us. She then said in broken English, "no, no, that's alright, I am waiting for my pigeon over here. He has a broken leg and can't go very fast." At this point we realized that she was clinically insane, and we said good-bye and parted ways. Naturally we had a great laugh about this afterwards.

And right after this, we saw a woman get tapped by a car - not hard, it just hit her hand lightly, and she was crossing the intersection on a red light, but it was still another notable event of the day.

That evening, we went to a Canadian bar. They sold bottles of Molson Canadian for 7.50 Euro.

We then left to return home, and on the subway, a woman beside us fell off her seat and dropped her papers all over the floor on a sharp turn. She was fine afterwards, and naturally, we had yet another great laugh about this.

So all in all, it was a very exciting day, with some interesting events

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb